Computer question

Bronze Member
Username: Speakerbox

Post Number: 18
Not a car problem, just a few computer problems.

Figured since GlassWolf damn near knows how to wire a walkie talkie into a radio station, how about this.

Neighbor of mine had something go wrong where his computer has no response when turned on, no fans turning on from the inside, when I first plug it into an outlet it'll flicker otherwise nothing. Lucky for me he bought a new one and his problem is now mine.

I know the powerbox can be broken, (I got about 3 other barebone towers so I'll check if any parts in the system are broken before trying to drill a new powerbox on it) I'm wondering if there's a website about the wiring cause it might just be the button on the front that's broken, or maybe a part within the system.

The case is a 'Compaq presario 5000' and I like how it looks so I wanna keep it and just build a new system. The system was kept in good shape, I doubt it was dropped or anything like that, wondering if there's some simple things I could check before replacing all the parts inside then drilling a new powerbox to it.

Hopefully you have some ideas.

PS - Enclosed is what will happen to your cat if you fail to respond.
http://media.ebaumsworld.com/index.php?e=sportka.wmv

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2488
most likely a bad power supply, or bad motherboard.

hard to diagnose that one without having it here to swap parts or see it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Alright I'll switch motherboards when I don't feel so lazy. I like how it looks and might just go out and buy a new motherboard/processor and build a new system.

Just found out about some place 20mins from here that buys 'ANY' computer that works $50 - $200. So now I can finally get rid of all these 133mhz, 266mhz, an 333mhz systems and buy a 2.5gh system.

Oh and the system he gave me had a CD-R on it thats 24x R and the store would give $100 per systems with CD-R or DVD. Now I can get rid of my 8x R burner and 20x DVD rom.

Here's another question, I got this pentium II processor and never been able to install it cause the damn thing is rediculously oversized with a huge heat sinker. You have any idea how much it could be worth? I'm gonna get rid of all the parts I don't/can't use when I go down there.

Oh and the cat thing was obviously fake.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Found out the details on the processor on ebay.

Pentium II 450mhz, anyone got a clue how much it's worth? hopefully I'll at least get $20 from the store.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2497
not worh much at all.
I gave away about 3 of those a while ago.
maybe $5 or $10

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Oh well, I'll try to sell it to that store anyway.

I switched motherboards with the compaq case, and it didn't make a difference. I also noticed the harddrive didn't work in any other system either, I think everything in that system died.

The case is still kinda nice, I just don't like the idea of fixing it and the same thing happening again.

I'll just try to sell it there anyways and tell them it doesn't even turn on. They might be able to fix it themselves or use the parts.

You got any ideas how to fix it? I don't care too much about it, I just wanna get more money for it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us