Amp Keeps Cutting Out

Username: Tsodano

Castro Valley, California

Post Number: 1
What's up everyone.

Specs
* Quantum Audio 1100 amp for 2 12" subs
* Fosgate p4004 for the 4 6x8 4-way components.
* 4 gauge power cable
* 8 gauge ground cable

When I just had the subs and quantum amp running, the amp never cut out. When I put in the p4004. Both amps will start cutting out when I turn it up, and not even that loud. I think my deck goes to 30, and the amps will start cutting at 16.
The amps are running hot.

I've removed the quantum amp and tried just with the p4004 amp and I get the same issues.

Any ideas what could be causing the problem? If it was a power issue I would assume my headlights would start dimming and I would also assume the quantum audio amp would be having the same issue.

Silver Member
Username: Nypdlapd

Post Number: 115
power and ground have to be the SAME GAUGE!!

Post Number: 3
you think that's causing the problem?

Silver Member

Post Number: 117
Yea!

Bronze Member
Username: Error_505

Amory, MS USA

Post Number: 29
I was having that problem too and I had 8 gauge power and 8 gauge ground. I upgraded both to 4 gauge and have no problems now. My lights still dim though. I have a 1.4 farad cap. Useless....lol Nypd is right though. Same gauge for power and ground. It helped me. Good luck!!

Bronze Member
Username: Jerome

Post Number: 26
Andy i have the same problem. I may have to upgrade to 4 gauge and why is the Cap useless? also would a cap help this problem?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
also:
1 1600 pyramid amp
2 power astuick furb's
10 guage power
10 gauge power
30 amp fuse

Silver Member

Post Number: 137
No it would just take away more power from your alt just to charge it....

Post Number: 5
I think I've found the problem. I tried removing each speaker one by one to see if it was a comp. causing the problem, which it wasn't.

I was running 4 channels in 2 channel mode with one RCA for the front input on the p4004.

On top of that I was running a High Low RCA Output Adapter off my rear speaker wires from the head unit, since the head unit pre-amp had died.

I just purchased a new kenwood head unit with 2 2.5V pre-amp outputs. Ran the 2 pre-amps to front/rear on the p4004 and the issue has seem to be resolved, as long as I don't crank up the gain on the p4004. If I put the gain to about half way it gets hot and will cause the same issue.

I'm thinking about exchanging the p4004 for a new one to see what happens.

I would assume I should be able to turn up the gain half way on the amp and not have it get hot quickly and go into protect mode.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
So uping to 4 gauge wire will up?

ALSO i found out i have it wired wrong, im going to wire it for a 2ohm load.

red to red black to black then red and black to amp
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us