Capacitor Help!!!

 

Bronze Member
Username: Riano

Post Number: 15
Registered: Jan-06
My capacitor WILL NOT turn off when I turn car off. It stays on until you take out main fuse. Anyone know why it does this and how to fix it?
 

New member
Username: Evanbean

KANSAS CITY, KANSAS U.S.A.

Post Number: 1
Registered: Mar-06
A CAPICITOR IS A BATTERY IT SHOULD ALWAYS HAVE A CHARGE.
 

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5390
Registered: Nov-04
When you say "WILL NOT" turn off, are you referring to the digital readout? That is normal. After 10-20min of non use, it will shut off.
 

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11381
Registered: Dec-03
a capacitor is NOT a battery.
it will hold a charge until it is discharged or the charge leaks off.
when you say "stays on" are you refering to the digital display?
 

Silver Member
Username: Nypdlapd

Post Number: 104
Registered: Feb-06
it should do that for the digital display!!
 

Bronze Member
Username: Riano

Post Number: 16
Registered: Jan-06
Yea the last time I turned my car off the next morning my battery was completely dead from the cap staying on all night.
 

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5395
Registered: Nov-04
A cap will NOT drain the battery till it's dead. You must have a short somewhere or left the amp on.
 

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 811
Registered: Jun-05
If your cap killed your battery, you have a serious battery issue. Make sure it's really your cap doing it, not like isaac said, a short somewhere, or your remote output touching a power wire somewhere maybe?

If a small digital display kills your battery overnight, you need a new one, badly.
 

Bronze Member
Username: Riano

Post Number: 18
Registered: Jan-06
Does this have anything to do with the main fuse because i blew the main fuse and put a different one in there and thats when the trouble started.
 

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1900
Registered: Sep-05
dude so u figured out u have a problem...
did u even look for any shortages in the wire, like everyone said???

how did u blow the main fuse??? u need to figure that out first!!!!! not just put a diff 1 in there!
 

Bronze Member
Username: Riano

Post Number: 19
Registered: Jan-06
I know why I blew the fuse cuz I am running a 80A fuse wen I could be running a 120 watt fuse.
 

New member
Username: Nascarfans2720

Post Number: 1
Registered: Mar-06
im am going to buy a CAPACITOR I DONT KNOW WHAT KIND TO GET should i get the 5 fared or 2 fared my system is 2400 watts
 

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1923
Registered: Sep-05
using a smaller fuse dont make it BLOW! so u had a wire or speaker terminal or something short!! did u check your power wire insulation around it?

Donnie, u need a alternator! A capacitor will just hurt u even more...
READ:

http://www.glasswolf.net/caraudio/capacitors.html
http://www.glasswolf.net/caraudio/charging.html
http://www.betteraudio.com/geolemon/newmain/battcapalt/
http://www.bcae1.com/charging.htm
http://www.bcae1.com/chargin2.htm
http://www.glasswolf.netS/caraudio/batteries.html
http://www.the12volt.com/info/recwirsz.asp
Jump to: Home Audio Forum | Home Video Forum | Home Theater Forum | Car Audio Forum