Amps shuts off after 30min

Username: S276l

Post Number: 1
I put a cheap system in my girls jeep and after about 30 min give or take the amp shuts off. I put it in my car and it works great for hours. i think it may be that her power wire is to small, would to small of a power wire cause these symptoms?

thanks

Sean

Bronze Member
Username: Bachatero07

Post Number: 37
you said the word yourself..."cheap system." might be the wire or might be where the amp is located. sounds like an overheat problem. check to see if the amp is hotter then usual when it shuts down. if it has any lights or l.e.d.'s check them with the music up and the jeep stopped. if they dimmer too much, that your problem might be the wire or the battery. good luk. wat are the specs by the way.

Silver Member
Username: Mixmastaspig

Canada, Canada Canada

Post Number: 456
my old amp was doing that also...(a while back)..I had it running at an ohm impedance that it couldnt handle. Could have cooked eggs on that bad boy

Silver Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 958
alos if the the wire is to small it will just choke out the power that is coming to the amp and it will overheat very fast you need to have the proper wire in your car cause the current wont flow correctly to the amp

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1655
both Mike and Charlie are correct, its both the same problem...

when u cut the impedence load too low, u better get the current to the back of the amplifier quickley... it will over heat quicker in her car, because the current cant flow as fast...

Username: S276l

Post Number: 2
thanks for all of the replies, you guys are exremely helpful. im into Motocross big time but i know next to nothing when it comes to subs and amps

as far was what shes running, its a 750watt 12 inch dual sub, 500 watt legacy amp

one last question, is there such thing as to big of a power wire???

thanks,

Sean

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 6482
having an oversized wire if u do not intend 2 upgrade 2 bigger amp/s in the future will just be a waste of $

however use this guide 2 figure whats best in ur application

http://www.the12volt.com/info/recwirsz.asp

Silver Member
Username: Terry6405

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 568
no, not sucha thing as too big, but its also expensive,

i dont see any reason for bigger than 8gauge wire for that amp

4ga would be overkill, but would also allow for easy upgrades

what do you have ran it those vehicles?

and what are the amp and sub models?

Silver Member
Username: Terry6405

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 569
damn it, you beat me

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1670
I wouldnt use anything smaller than 4ga with car audio! Bigger is always better!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us