Can a battery be enclosed?

Silver Member
Username: Jprix82

Post Number: 290
I was planning to build a custom(stealth) battery box but i was wondering if it would cause problems if it was enclosed in a box?

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 371
You can place it in a battery box available at a boating store or performance auto shop but it cannot be airtight as for the hydrogen build up can be extremely dangerous, BOOM! Polo... :-O

Username: Nanbakat

Mexico CityMexico

Post Number: 2
Yea, I second what Polo wrote. The battery can be covered, but you need to provide some sort of method for it to vent. Preferably, it should vent to the exterior of the car and not into the interior of the car.

Bronze Member
Username: Buckshot

Post Number: 62
you could get a little computer type of fan and mount it plush on the outside of the box facing in so that it blows air through a hole cut for it that would give it ventalation enough maybe a small port at the bottom for the air to be pushed through by the fan but just an idea i duno if it would work though it sounds cool

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 372
WAIT!! If you do get a fan it will need to be a brushless fan, brushes=sparks= YO DEAD, lol... Polo..

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1259
well if you get a sealed battery such as an Optima Yellow Top, sealing should be no problem, as its sealed already. but if you go with a common unsealed battery, then you'll definally have to have ventallation.

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 377
Does Optima ever gas?
When used with a properly regulated constant voltage charging system (such as an alternator) the Optima will usually not emit hydrogen gas. However, gassing can occur when charging at higher voltage levels or in extreme high temperature conditions. In automotive applications this typically will not happen if the alternator/regulator stay below 15 volts.

Like people all batteries emit gas just some more than others, lol. Polo.

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1277
could be Polo, i can't say.

Silver Member
Username: Jprix82

Post Number: 294
yeah i was planning to use a optima yellowtop

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 801
If you use an optima yellow top, you'll be fine, Joseph. :-) Just dont use an alternator with a regulator set to above the recomended charging level.

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1580
Optima dont gas.. I dont think so.. I think it swellls alittle if over charged..
Most of these new batteries are often gas tight, no spill batteries..

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 390
The Optima has a pressure relief valve built in and what I posted above was from there website, Polo..
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us