2300 watts rms power

Username: Mrezsale

Waterville, NY USA

Post Number: 3
I have a 93 civic si. I also have two JL 1000/1's, and one 300/4! The two 1000/1's are going to power my JL 13w7's, and my 300/4 is going to power my JL mids! I have been to a few local stereo shops in my town, and I can not get a good answer on how I'm going to power that many watts. I know that i'm going to need a H/O alternator, but what size(amps)? I also heard I'm going to need a deep cycle battery for each sub amp, is this true? If so what brand? Are stinger batteries ant good?I want to get it going but no one can tell me for sure how to power 2300 watts rms? Please help...

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2264
if i were in your situation i would go w/ a 200-250A alt and 1-2 batts.

Stinger batts are pretty good...but you can buy the exact same batt as stinger for alot less. Odyssey makes the same batts as Stinger. Try the Pc1200's or PC1700's.

Also, Exide Orbital 34XCD's are nice. (same as Optima yellow tops) You can get them for about $110 each.

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 2180
RMS/Voltage is sufficient for safe operation.
I.e., 2000watts/14volts= 143amps

But for optimal performance, multiply the RMSx2 to compensate for the power lost in the form of heat (up to 50%). Especially since those Slash aren't as "humble" as a typical D-class.
I.e., 2000wx2/14 volts= 290 amps.

Then, in either case you can adjust for the relatively nominal amount of power lost to your already existing electrical requirements (windows, ac etc...)

Battery. If you have the loot, go for Kinetic. Otherwise I agree w/Marshall:
http://www.batterymart.com/c-odyssey.html

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 664
you can divide max current draw by about 3 to get real world rms current requirements.<br>
<br>
2300/.5 = 4600/14 = 328A (max test tone current draw)
328/3 = 109A
That would be a rough estimate for current draw during full output playing music. Assuming you won't be blasting it every second the car's running - a 200A alt should get the job done.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5650
Yeah, but good luck getting a 200 amp alternator for a Civic. Honda alternators are so small that you hardly have space for the windings.

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 284
No Sh!t I am having a hard enough time trying to find more than a 200A for my Grand prix, once you change casings you will need a fabricator to fit the b!tch, lol. Polo.. :-O)

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 2185
MECP standard is RMS/Voltage. So, you'll likely be fine with a 180amp alt for daily listening.
Just keep in mind the amps at idle.

E.g., http://search.stores.ebay.com/Iraggi-Alternator-and-Electronics_civic_W0QQfciZQ2 d1QQfclZ3QQfsnZIraggiQ20AlternatorQ20andQ20ElectronicsQQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQftsZ2QQs aselZ35089818QQsofpZ0

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11202
firstly, you'll need a high output alternator, yes.
figure current draw for those amps plus your stock alternator you're sitting around 3Kw which is about 300A of draw at full output.
That said however, you'll probably never use all of the potential power of those amps in a running car so a 200A alternator should be sufficient if it's well made.

the batteries are only needed if you plan to run the system for long periods with the engine off, or compete in SPL events etc.. where you need high, sustained current for the system without the alternator.

you'll also need to upgrade the wiring for the charging system to 1/0AWG for that much draw.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11203
for the deep cycles I'd look at stinger or kinetik.

Username: Mrezsale

Waterville, NY USA

Post Number: 4
I have been looking, and the highest amp alt that I could find is 170 amps. If I get two stinger sp1700 batteries will that work?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us