Amp Power Wire Question

Username: Gregjames

Post Number: 7
I have a Hifonics Titan Tx1005D Mono Amp powering two 12' Cliff Audio CD120W's in a sealed box running at 700 watts x 2ohm. Ok so i wired my amp with 8 gauge wire and i believe it is the cause of my subs barely moving and only playing at low volumes. I turn it all the way up and my car speakers go crazy but my sub barely moves at almost full gain and all of the settings correct. The subs sound great but arent loud at all. Do you think this is because the 8 gauge power wire? Thanks

Post Number: 9
pleassee help :|

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 616
8 ga is defenitely on the small side for that amp, but I can't see it having a significant impact on audible output.

What HU are you using? How are you running signal to your amp, just a left and right rca pair? The rears?

How long is your power wire? How long is the ground wire? Where is your gain set, near the 9v or near the .2v? Where are your low pass and subsonic filters set?

Post Number: 10
I have a pioneer premier DEH-P680MP head unit 5v pre out. I am using RCA cables, and using stock speakers besides subs. My power wire is 17 feet, the ground wire is about 2-2.5 feet. My low pass is set at 80-100 and my subsonic is set near 10hz

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 638
and the gain is near .2V? About 50% on the dial SHOULD get max output, or close to it.

Your subs ARE wired parallel, not series, right?

I would be curious to know what your system's voltage is at idle - system on - loud. Do you have a DMM?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
I put it at full 9v and it still gets close to no output.. i am thinking if i should use a 4 gauge wire.. even tho i am only running 700 watts.. however the amp draws alot of current.

Bronze Member
Username: Shaun_whitaker

Post Number: 31
greg it would probably be better for you to go to a local best buy or circuit city or possibly an audio shop and have them check your system. optidriven is not going to be able to troubleshoot that over the internet because it could be so many things. also the power cable almost has nothing to do with how your subs sound. there is a chart that shows what gauge you should use compared to length of the cable and the amount current running through the cable.

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/ISEO-rgbtcspd/learningcenter/car/cable_gauge_c hart.html

Silver Member
Username: Goose5714

Post Number: 192
yah, the power cable doesn't matter, the amp will just overdraw the cable if it can't get enough power and it will catch fire if you don't have a fuse or your fuse will blow... so the power wire isn't the problem....

Bronze Member
Username: Hootz

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada

Post Number: 100
9v will give you the quietest setting. The closer to 0v you get, the louder it'll get. try putting it at around 4 which should match your pre-outs.

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 647
"9v will give you the quietest setting. The closer to 0v you get, the louder it'll get. try putting it at around 4 which should match your pre-outs."

My thoughts exactly - that's why I said 50% on the dial

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Ok i turned it to the halfway point and it sounds louder, but it gets alot of distortion and doesnt even go the loud even when gain is all the way up. The type of sound i am getting isnt even bass it is just like deep distortion. ahhh im just gunna go see the local audio pro tomarrow. but any advice would be good. Any other things to try and fix it by?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us