Amp and box questions

FrankyJ
Unregistered guest
I have two Alpine SWR-1242D 12" subwoofers with dual 4-ohm voice coils. If you weren't sure these subs are 500 r.m.s. and 1500 peak. I am really interested in getting a Hifonics BX 1505D which is 1500 watts at 1 ohm because all I have now is a two channel 1600 watt American Legacy amp. It puts out some power but I am thinking that the Hifonics amp will make these subs sound much better. Do you think that the Hifonics amp is a lot better than an American Legacy amp. Also I was looking for some box recommendations because right now i have a sealed box but not sure on the specs or the material it is made of because I got it cheap a couple of years ago on ebay with some generic subs I sold a half year ago. It is a nice looking box but I know that sometimes your box can make a decent difference in your sound quality. That is what I am going for is as clean of bass as possible. I love hard clean bass. So if someone can tell me what they think that would be cool. Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 608
In all honesty the 1505 is probably at LEAST 3x as powerful as a "1600w" Legacy.
If you look in the manual the Legacy is probably rated around 200w rms x 2 at 2 ohms, or 400w rms bridged at 4 ohms.
The Hifonics, even if it is over-rated as many claim is probably at least 1200w rms at 1 ohm, possibly more.
The difference should be substantial - enough that you should probably be careful (keep gain low), at least early on to make sure you don't damage your subs.

Username: __nick__

Post Number: 10
I also have 2 Alpine Type R's of the same specifications, and I also want to get a Hifonics BX 1505D, or an ALpine MRD M1005, which amp would you recommend, the alpine is 100 more and I don't know if I can afford it or not, is it worth the extra 100$? Also,by getting this amp and those 2 subs, will i HAVE TO get a capacitator or something to keep the battery from dying, is it absolutely necessary?

_Thanks

Username: Jboy

Post Number: 5
I think you should build a sub box YOURSELF.....It is easy i started buildin my boxes at 14 and it worked GREAT...i have 2 sealed 10's and 2 ported 12's........ TO me i think u should do ur own box...all u need is wood(CHEAP BUT STRONG)a jigsaw ( 20.00)and wood glue ETC....

Username: Humbol

Post Number: 1
I have 2 10 orion h2(5,000 max watts) subs in a sealed box and what amps should I get?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us