Best way to configure system?

Username: Boorishid

Post Number: 1
I recently just installed two 12 inch subs and a 400 watt amp in my car. Now the stero pretty much sounds like crap becuase the bass is louder than everything else. So ive come to the conclusion that i want to hook my door speakers up to a four channel amp.

The problem is im not sure how to go about this, i have a pioneer HU drining infinity speakers. The HU has 2 sets of low level outputs on the back one labled SW wich is what my subs are currently pluged into and one labled F for front channel i guess. So if i bought a 4 channel amp to hook up in series with my two channel amp it seems to me i could only drive the front speakers with it, unless i use Speaker level inputs wich i hear sound like crap. So how would i go about getting everything inputed into a second four channel amp?

Silver Member
Username: Goatin

U.S.A

Post Number: 363
You will need a distrabution block.
http://www.bcae1.com/
article 23
and if you are new to the game check out the ohms section so you can get the most out of your amp/s
Article 8
If you do not want to run a heavy ga wire and a ditribution block they make 5 and 6 CH amps .you might want the 6 CH amp with a bridgeable sub out off of the 5th and 6th CH(Read article 8 on ohms before buying another amp) I would also look at
article 58
it will help you undestand more on ohms(ohms can make or break your amp)It will also help you undestand the pros/cons of parallel and series configuration(for your subs)

Silver Member
Username: Blainew

Post Number: 985
it seems that your problem is the RCA's

im not really sure how but it is possible to get everything running. you might need a splitter to put on the SW channel so that the SW chanel still goes to the subs, and also the new 4 channel amp.

a splitter will simply split the RCA's from 2 to 4, making you able to use both amps.

i think that may be one way to do it but someone else on here will kniow for sure

Post Number: 4
So earlier today i unhooked all the subs off the two channel amp. I then hooked up a 6x9 to one of the channels but it didnt seem to work it was just putting out a bunch of low for a sub, and in hi pass and flat mode the speaker was just making alot of whistling noise. So im thinking the SW channel on my amp only sends lowpass info its not acually a back channel :-(. Any suggestions would be appreciated. How bad do hi level inputs acually sound? Also do most head units have rca jack for SW and Back, and Front?

Post Number: 5
I meant to say the SW channel on my head unit, sorry.

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 752
SW = Subwoofer.
F = full.

Take your full RCA outs, and send them to your 4 channel amplifier. Switch your 4 channel amplifier to run in 2-channel mode. Since your head unit does not have a front/back, just a left/right, by running your amp in 2 channel mode, you're not going to hurt anything. If your amp dosnt have a 2 channel mode, (most do, but incase it dosnt) then buy a couple of RCA splitters, ( http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/1547127/vpcsid/0 /SFV/30046 ) and plug in your 2 channel source to all 4 inputs on the amplifier.

Even in 2 channel mode, your amp will still be able to put out x4, just the left & right will be the same output for the front and the rear. (Whereas decks with a front/rear/sub output, you can fade the music from front to back, not just left to right. That's the only real advantage to the seperate output in most cases.)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us