REM Connection Question.

Username: Erikk

Post Number: 4
Hello,

For the remote (REM) connection from the power antenna to the amp, do you simply wire it in parallel with the antenna? I would like to keep my antenna working so taking it out it not an option. Keep in mind, I am installing it in an old car, so the current audio system does not have a REM connection on it.

Thanks in advance!
-Erik

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 1499
the amp rem wire should not be hooked up to the antenna wire.

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1050
if it is hooked to the power antenna wire, the amp will only turn on when you turn the HU to Radio, if you try a CD or AUX source, the amp will turn off.

if the HU doesn't have a REM output lead on the back, you will have to hook the amp REM to the battery and use a switch to turn it off when not in use to keep the amp from draining the battery.

Post Number: 5
Okay, first off, I am not hooking the antenna wire to the amp, but the antenna relay to the amp (I guess I should have been a little more specific). What this amp says it that when 12v is applied to the REM connection on the amp, the amp will then draw the power from the power wire hooked to the battery (B+). Hooking the REM back to the battery with a 'switch' seems redundant as having two 12v sources would be simply useless. Much like an actual remote to a tv where a short burst of ir signal (in this case 12v from the power antenna powering up) tells the tv to then take all its power from the 120v AC outlet (or in this case, the 12v B+ from the power wire.) Now, I may have this completely mixed up, but that seems to be the most logical answer, so I apologize if I am wrong.

Thanks for the info!
-Erik

Post Number: 6
Alrighty, it turns out that even when I put in a tape or change any source, the antenna stays up. While browsing online, I found that some people say it will be fine, while others say, even though the antenna is still up, there is no power going to it. So, I guess I will just have to find out with a volt meter. In addition, I'd like to correct ty mutlow's statement as so anyone with this particular question will not be confused... It is possible to connect the REM to the power antenna wire, but like Brandon said, it might shut off when you change the source.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us