How do i choose a amp to match my sub?

Username: Mrbockbagok

Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 8
How do i choose a amp to match my sub? I really have no clue. I have an alpine type r 12' dvc 2 Ohm. 500w rms. So do i find a amp that runs 500w rms at 1 Ohm, or do i find a amp that runs 500w rms at 4 Ohm? please help me.

Silver Member
Username: Ucfsaxman

Oviedo/orlando, Fl

Post Number: 610
you would need a 500 watt amp at 1 ohm

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 5039
or 500 watts at 4ohms, if you go for 500 watts at 4 ohms it gives you room to expand in the future. Say you want to add another sub in the future you buy a amp that is 500 watts at 4ohms and 1000 watts at 2ohms and there you go.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 5040
or 500 watts at 4ohms, if you go for 500 watts at 4 ohms it gives you room to expand in the future. Say you want to add another sub in the future you buy a amp that is 500 watts at 4ohms and 1000 watts at 2ohms and there you go.

Bob365
Unregistered guest
What's your budget? Can it be used? You can get some good deals by browsing ecoustics, carsound, sounddomain, and termpro forums and picking up amps from people who upgrade a lot.

While buying a 500W @ 4 will give you expandability in the future, going up to a 1000W system might require an alternator upgrade too.
I don't think you can go wrong either way, but it really depends on your budget.

Bronze Member

Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 13
I'm not going to upgrade until i buy my new car next year, so a good 1 Ohm stable amp is all i need at this point. i would like to spend under 400, was looking at jl audio, alpine, jbl, or mtx.

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 5450
Any reason, ur only using those brands

Bronze Member

Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 14
eh not really, they are the only ones i know anything about and have experens with, plus they are the ones that i can find in stores in my area. im open to all sugestions as i want to learn as much as i can. living in canada its harder to find companys that will ship items here, plus shipping cost more cause im further away for their store.

Bob365
Unregistered guest
Sorry, don't know Canadian stores or pricing.
JL Audio would be either 500/1 or the e1800d
Honestly, I don't like how current amps from MTX, Alpine, and JBL match up to your sub. Hopefully, someone can give you more alternatives.

Offhand, I saw an Orion 600D (600W @ 1) at Sounddomain for $200.

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 1483
the 500/1 is 1to 4ohm stable at 11.5 to 14.4 volts

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 5475
1.5-4 ohm stable, if it drops to 1 ohm it will cut off...And u will be mad

Bob365
Unregistered guest
Yep, that's why he'd wire the voice coil in series so it would show a 4 ohm load.

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 5481
Bob, why not register,Also did i miss the budget??

Bob365
Unregistered guest
Too lazy. Just wasting time at work.
$400 I'm not sure if it's Canadian dollars or US though. I just took a look at the main companies he listed and skipped the budget since I don't know what he can get the stuff for or which dollar his budget is in. I thought maybe another Canadian would step in and point out some amps from different companies that he could get from a Canadian store. I have the feeling JL will be outside of his price range, but out of what he listed it seemed like the best match. I think he'll end up with an amp that's not from one of those four companies.

Bob365
Unregistered guest
Just checked out Ebay.ca and the pickings were slim. Some JL stuff and maybe some Hifonics like the BX1500D @ 4ohms or the BX605 @ 1.

Only a 20some auctions per brand. Audiobahn had the most.

Bronze Member

Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 15
no it was in usd currancy cause i figured it would be easyer for you guys. and i dont care too much about price i just gave the price range cause a) i dont want to pay $$$ if i dont have to and b) someone asked. i have been thinking about the JL, and i would have to hook it up to give a 4 Ohm load right? and it will give 500w rms correct? Thanks for the help by the way

Silver Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 104
DIRECTED 750D OR 600D IKESOUND.COM GOOD AMP FOR THAT TYPE R

Bob365
Unregistered guest
If you went with the JL Audio 500/1, you'd wire the voice coils in series to show the amp a 4 ohm load and get 500W. First diagram -
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=161

Sidenote: the 500/1 is regulated, so the power won't fluctuate as the power from your alternator fluctuates.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us