Possible? 2 amps to each voice coil on one DVC sub??

ChichNchonG
Unregistered guest
I was wondering if I have 1 1600 watt rms subwoofer and it is a 4ohm DVC sub can I connect 2 - 800watts@4ohm amp's to each of its voice coil one amp to each voice coil on the sub. The amps are the exact same amps. If I can dose the subwoofer has to be dvc2 or dvc4 if the amps are 800 wats @ 4ohms

Silver Member
Username: Nnnnick_b

Nc Usa

Post Number: 372
I dont see why no as long as the signal from the HU is mono.

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1107
It should work just fine. Just set the gains / boost around the same.

ChichNchonG
Unregistered guest
When you say mono dose that mean that I should only plug one rca cable into to the amp like only the left not both and if so would it be ok if I plug the left rca into amp 1 and the right rca into amp 2

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11103
you can do this but the gain on each amp needs to be matched as precisely as you can get it.. otherwise having uneven power to the two coils will cause them to fight each other.. that'll cause damage over time.

another option is to get two class D mono amps like the Kicker 1200.1 or 1250.1 models that support amplifier strapping, and connect the amps together to make one big amp for the sub in question.. no issues then with balancing.

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11104
PS if you use two amplifiers that aren't strapped, each coil needs to be the load presented to each amp.. so if the amps are 800W @ 2 ohms each, you need a dual 2 ohm coil sub.

ChichNchonG
Unregistered guest
ok well the amps are 800W @ 4ohms and the sub Is a dual 4 ohm coil sub. Now the amps do support strapping but when I had them setup like that with two 12" speakers one seemed louder then the other speaker

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11107
well when amps are strapped with that special strapping interconnect cable, they should work together like a bridged two-channel amp.. for one load.. so if both subs were wired to the strapped amps in parallel or serial, they should sound identical unless one sub is bad or something.
that's very odd.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us