New at this, need help as to what amp to buy

ctmike
Unregistered guest
just received 2 alpine 1242d 12" dvc subs (heard they were some of the best out for price). just don't know what amp to power them with, all i know is i want to run each with a mono amp, but confused. amps say different rms to 4ohm and higher at 2ohm. if i buy an amp that says 436wrms @ 4ohm's and 637wmrs @ 2ohm's, which one is going to the sub, 436wmrs or the 637wrms? any help would be appreciated!

Nanbakat
Unregistered guest
What is changing is the resistive load of the speaker. The ohm rating of the speaker depends on how you decide to wire the DVC subwoofer speaker. If you have the 4 ohm + 4 ohm DVC speakers (which I think you do) then it would be possible to either have a 2 ohm load or an 8 ohm load depending on how you wire them. You'd want to wire them as a 2 ohm load.

When you buy a mono amp for each of them...look for the proper RMS wattage at 2 ohms.

Wouldn't it be easier to power both subs off of just one amp though? You could bridge the outputs and drive power to both speakers at once. It's a hell of a lot easier than setting up power to two amps and installing them.

Nanbakat
Unregistered guest
Forgot to add...

Bridging would work only with multi-channel amps. If you have a massive mono amp, then you could just wire the two subwoofer speakers in parallel.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 5506
if u got 2 of those subs then buy either
ORION 1200D
OR
KICKER 1200

& a bumpin u will go ...

ctmike
Unregistered guest
thanks for the advice, but i think i want to stick with a mono amp for each sub. so you're saying when i get them installed, just to make sure the installer wires them to a 2ohm load? also, have any advice an what amp would be good? i hear the alpines are nice and the phoenix gold, but ever had any experience with the kenwoods or infinity amps (there a little cheaper for the same power, but heard there not the same quality)?

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 5512
ok - i get u now

y not buy (2) of either brand
ORION 600D - if u get this buy 1222 model of subs

KICKER 600 - if u get this buy 1242 model of subs

Diamond audio D3600.1 - if u get this buy 1222 model of subs

Also read this quick guide - http://pub14.ezboard.com/fcaraudiotalkfrm27.showMessage?topicID=27.topic

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 5513
& do register

Nanbakat
Unregistered guest
If you like Alpine...

Look at the MRD-M605 mono class-D amp. It will put out 600W @ 2 ohms to one channel. You could get one to drive each subwoofer.

Alternatively, look at the MRD-M1005 mono class-D amp. It will put out 1000W @ 2 ohms. But in this case you will need to use this one amp to run both subs when wired in parallel.

Alpine just came out with the PDX line of amps for 2006...but I think that that would be over-kill in your case.

Although you did not know this when you bought your subs, the resistance (ohm value) and number of voice coils will absolutely dictate the kind of amplifier you need to get.

Do a google search for "subwoofer wiring" and you will learn a lot.

Bronze Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 96
man do it better, buy hifonics 1205d mono amp or 1605d and wire them for 1ohm load and you'll be satisfied. For woofer wiring go to the12volt.com

ctmike
Unregistered guest
thanks for all your help, i guess i should have checked out everything a little better. i think i will go with the alpine m605 for each or maybe the hifonics 1205d. abd next time i will be registered, just can't do it while at work. also, any suggestions what would be good speakers to get that would sound nice and clear over the subs. already replaced my old ones, but they already need replaced again.

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 5524
the reason i did not rec that alpine m605 is because if this

RMS Power (at 12V,20Hz-200Hz)
* Per channel into 2 ohms : 400W x 1
* Per channel into 4 ohms : 250W x 1

RMS Power (at 14.4V,20Hz-200Hz)
* Per channel into 2 ohms : 600W x 1

so unless u have a high output Alt - that amp will NOT be doing 600wrms steadily ......

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 5527
thread no bump

Username: Ctmike

Post Number: 1
thanks for the advice Rovin, i almost just bought the 605 before checking back real fast. saved me alot of money cause i don't have a high output alt. so when looking at the rms i should stay with the 12v output of the amp since my alt. is factory.

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 5530
Ah - i done my good deed 4 2day !

saved u some $ & also got u 2 reg -lol ...

Upload
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us