Amp Help

Bronze Member
Username: Rb06

Hoyt, KS U.S.A

Post Number: 43
Okay this is probably a dumb question but if it saves me money its worth it, I have two 12" subs... Ok my amp is 2 ohm stero stable. Now if I connect my positive termnal of my amp, to the positive termnals of both my subs, and connect the negative termnal of my amp, to the negative termnals of my subs. Will this fry my amp? or is this ok?
-Thanks

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1012
^What kind of amp you got? Also are the subs dual voice coils? or single? and @ how many ohms are the VCs?

Bronze Member

Hoyt, KS U.S.A

Post Number: 44
It's a Ultra Linear amp
UL2800D
2ch1600w High Performance Amplifier - 2 x 400w
RMS @ 4?, 2 x 800w RMS @ 2?, 1 x 1600w Max
@ 4?,

My subs are jus single VCs and are 4oms each

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1013
2 single 4ohm vcs in parrallel is 2ohms!
if bridged your amp requires a 4ohm load; it will hurt the amp if you bridge it.

Bronze Member

Hoyt, KS U.S.A

Post Number: 45
Alrite B... Thanks

WickedCarnnie
Unregistered guest
Well it pretty much comes down to how good of quality your amp is, And what kind of ventilation you have for your amp. If your amp is in an enclosed surrondings where it will heat up pretty quick, more than likely it will ether over heat and start clipping or it will just shut off, unless you are just beating the hell out of the beast, So in that case it could very well fry and burn.
When you take two 4Ohm subs and parelle bridge them then your cutting your Ohms down to around 1/2Ohm.
Beleive it or not one of the best damn amps i ever had was a Boss (made in america) amp, Now Boss amps are cheap, very cheap, hell for the most part the only time your gonna find a Boss amp is either in a pawn shop or a flea market,(Lmfao) But those are the really cheap azz amp Boss makes, The amps that are stamped with (Made in america) are some of the better amps you can get for the money, And i tell you how i know. I had a setup where i had 4 10's and i parelleled bridged them all to just a 400w Boss amp(M.I.A.) It worked so unbeleaveably good for close to a year, The bass was tremendous, But one hot summer day down at the lake i got greedy with the bass and just had that shiat BANGIN for all the hotties and showing off(like a Dumbass) and all of the sudden a loud pop and a so much smoke it looked like some body was hot boxing in my trunk. I've also had a Punch 50 parelled bridged to 4 Memphise audio 12's and everyone was telling me that it won't last, Shiat, what ever, it lasted me for 2 years until it was stolen out of my jeep cherokee. But like i said it all depends on the quality of the amp and how cool you can keep your amp, Heat is the worst enemy of any electrical components.
I suggest if you know how to hook your stuff up then just play around with it and see what comes out, just becareful and take cautions. If your amp is anygood at all it should have a Thermal shutoff so that way nothing gets destroyed.

Sorry i know this was kind of long but hope it helps. P.s. don't always take the advice from a car audio sales man.

Bronze Member

Hoyt, KS U.S.A

Post Number: 46
Thanks man... it does have a thermal shut down, but the thing is, is I had a pyramid power 1600watt amp and I fried it, then I got another 1 and fried that one too... I melted the plastic around the fuse, the fuse didnt blow. This amp I have now is 20 times better than pyramid!!! Ima jus play around with it and see what happens. Thanks for your imput-

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 1413
It will fry that ultra linear amp. you need dual 2ohms to run 2 subs bridged, or run dual 4; to a 2ohm stereo load.

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 1414
and also that amp will clip out at that ohm load
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us