Just got HO alt!!

Silver Member
Username: Mrdark

Post Number: 204
what size fuses should I use under the hood now?

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1001
you should fuse the new line you run, the upgraded positive wire from alternator to battery, at or a little above the alternator's output. think 125% max according to mecp. the stock wire and fuse should be left alone.

yay, post 1001, gold member now :-)

Silver Member
Username: Terry6405

Sullivan, IN US

Post Number: 238
i just got one too, i talked to a guy from a body shop and he said i didnt need a fuse because it wont do anything except reduce my current and besides, the stock doenst have one

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1004
i don't have a fuse on mine, but its always a good idea incase that wire shorts out. the car's electrical system is fused by the main wire going into the fuse box, so you don't have to worry about messing anything like that up.

Silver Member

Post Number: 205
so i got a 200A alternator, fuse it at 200A? ok, thanks Brandon.

Silver Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 986
Matt its cool to fuse it at 200a, thats what my car is fused at now actually. But im getting ready to run 4 strains of 0ga! =D
I would run 0ga as the Big 3 also.
Hope you enjoy it.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10996
Terry, bad answer. The body shop guy should stick to body work and not electrical systems. you want a fuse at the alternator and/or battery, or if not a fuse, a circuit breaker, and you want it rated for the peak current capacity of the alternator.
It's not there to protect the equipment, and it won't limit any current draw.
What it will do is protect the wire and the car, in case of a dead short. You want some sort of fused protection to prevent an engine fire.

Silver Member

Post Number: 207
so I'm going to fuse it at 200A...yea B I got about 15' of 0ga knukonceptz! I shall enjoy it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us