Excessive Current Error

Username: T26redd

Pottsville, PA USA

Post Number: 1
Anybody who has had errors or problems due to excessive current post here. Particularly with Alpine amps displaying the "CUR" message.

Pottsville, PA USA

Post Number: 2
I just hooked up an Alpine MRD1005 1000Watt RMS Amp with 2 Phoenix Gold QX12's (250 RMS each). They're hooked up to the amp producing a 2 ohm load and the amp can handle that. However, anywhere past 2/3 volume and the amp shuts off due to excessive current. I'm running a diesel truck with a 170 amp alternator and 2 750 amp batteries. Can somebody please tell me what you think the problem is because Alpine and Phoenix Gold can't figure it out without me sending everything back.

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 1305
yes, my 545 did the same thing, it read that but there was not excessive current to it, it was tested, i just switched amp to the JL.

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 786
Maybe that's actually a clipping warning?

Pottsville, PA USA

Post Number: 3
The Amp definitely isn't clipping yet, had that checked out. Also, the voltage and current coming into the amp is fine. I ran the stereo with the truck on and off eliminating the possibility of the alternator pushing too much. Could it possibly be a problem with the current goin from the amp to the subs since they aren't rated nearly as high as the amp? They're in a sealed box and they aren't real loud. Maybe I am pushing em hard though and can't tell cuz its a sealed box? Please let me know what you think before I start sending stuff back.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us