Adjustable X- over slopes

Bronze Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 48
Ok, I know I should know this but I don't remember. (too much weed in the 80's). Ok I have two Kicker sx1250.1's. On the Eq setting in the software (computer controlled) you have the Hp and Lp settings. You are able to pick any frequency from i think 10hz to 200hz. now the real problem for me is once I have both of them set there is now a slope setting that goes from 6db to 48db. The question is, how the heck do I set these? I set the LP @ 80hz and the slope at 24db. I then set the HP @ 20hz and that slope also at 24dbs. I am just going by the sound of it, all seems great and this amp has lots a features for sure, lol. Oh by the way under EQ is the bass Boost/cut feature. I have that set at 9db's which is half way through its range and use the remote to control it. Now under the same damn setting, WHAT THE HECK IS THE BANDWIDTH FOR? Has a setting from one to ten, mannnnnnn. Polo..

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10881
set the high pass at 80-120Hz range, and 12dB slope

you want the subs to roll off more quickly than the midrange/midbass drivers

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 4551
polo what amp do you have there im curious

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 2101
"WHAT THE HECK IS THE BANDWIDTH FOR?"

the range of frequencies passed by the filter.
Look under "Q" here: http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=144

Silver Member
Username: Lewass

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 360
What glasswolf meant to say was set the Low pass at 80 to 120, 12 db slope.

High pass at ~20.

If you change from a 24 db slope to a 12, you will still be able to hit notes higher than 80 a little louder. What you really want to do is make your subs leave off at the exact frequency that your mids start at, so the response curve is nice and flat through any frequency range. Find a chart of someones response curves to better understand this.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11393
nope/ I said what I meant to say.
you don't match HP and LF frequencies or you get a warm spot.
you want to leave about a 1 octave gap in there so the roll-off will compensate for the gap.
HPF @ 120Hz 12dB slope
LPF @ 60 to 80Hz, 18 to 24dB slope.

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 891
Lewass, remember that the response from that driver ROLLS off, not just jumps off a cliff and stops. Although the midbasses are set to a crossover point of 120hz on a 12db slope, 60hz is playing at -12db, 30hz is playing at -24db, etc.
Likewise, with the sub, if you were using a crossover point of 80hz, on a 24db slope, 160hz would be playing at -24db, 320hz would be playing at -48db.

Username: Pulser

Post Number: 1
I actually find under-lapping the crossover frequencies gives a flatter sound.
i.e. Sub Low Pass at 43Hz, Midbass Lowpass at 51Hz.
Both slopes are set to 24dB Butterworth

Username: Pulser

Post Number: 3
oops, high-pass the midbass

Silver Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 756
ok here's the dilly YO!!! lol, slightly tipsy right now but all is good. Anyways, with controlling crossovrt points there are a few things to remember. One is that the slope effects to roll-off from the crossover point. basically the steeper the slope the more dramatic cutoff the frequency is after the crossover point. secondly, crossover points should either not be overlapping or if they do make sure they don't interfere with each other(cancellation). If i were you i'd set the HP to say 100hz with a 6db slope and the LPF at 100hz at 18 or 24db slope and go from there. Alot will have to be adjusted after that by ear but it'll give you a starting point.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us