How can you tell your going to blow the amp

Bronze Member
Username: Curious

Post Number: 14
Ok guys i think this will help all of us noob's
How can you tell if the subs you have are going to fry your amp.
Ex. I have a Kenwood KAC-9102d amplifier will two 12 inch alpine type r's kill this amp the subs say 1000 rms (combined and a max 3000 rms combined. what do you think the say four ohms to what ever that means :-(

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4783
if your type r's are dual 4 ohm subs and you wire them parelell-parellell to 1 ohm and drove it hard chances are you would fry that amp.

Nate So
Unregistered guest
ya that kenwood would fry...

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 1307
that amp shows 2ohm stable only, so if it is ran at 1 ohm, then you prob will be looking for a new amp soon..... you need 1ohm stable amp or dual 2ohm subs.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Ty when say dual 20hm subs which type r's should i get the 1242D type r's which are dual four ohm subs or the SWR-1222D which are dual 2ohms and since i want two of them and have a two channel amp how is that going to work won't i just hook - from sub to - on amp and + from sub to + on amp and then repeat for the second sub wont that be safe for amp and subs
This is really given me a headache
Thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 1318
you need the 1222, they need to be ran to 4ohm each then back down to 2, see www.the12volt.com and find woofer wiring.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
so i wire each sub to 4 ohms individually then hook it up to its own channel
thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 1323
that is a mono amp, you need to run each sub up to 4ohms, then back down to 2ohms series/parralel

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Ok that web site you gave me the 12volt.com showed me to options parralel and showed me series i take it i go with the series right the subs end up with four ohms going out to each channel.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1326
no, your going to use both, use option 1/series/parralel diagram=2ohm load.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
ok so when i use this option that means that i am going to have one channel open and one in use because on my amp i have two positives and two negatives and it doesn't tell me that i can bridge any thing. sorry if im being a pain but i am not trying to mess any thing else up

Gold Member

Post Number: 1331
it is only 1 channel, the other terminal allows you to hook 2 speakers and it internally bridges the amp. A mono block means just that 1 channel.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us