Cap installation

Username: Goose5741

Post Number: 3
So i was trying to install a cap (1 farad)and the instructions that came with it were crap/in very bad english (it was actually kinda funny to read), i ended up using the rockford fosgate help section about cap installation but when i went to charge it nothing happened, i held the resistor there forever and it never got hot and the cap showed no signs of life (yes i had both battery terminals connected, my fuse in, the cap grouned and was connecting the power wire hooked to the battery to the cap positive terminal via the resistor it came with), so i got sick of holding it there and jsut plugged it in and stared the car, my amp still worked fine but nothing happened with the cap, the volt led readout never turned on so i'm guessing it didn't have/wasn't aware it had power, in one of the diagrams in my crappy owners manual it showed a remote wire, do i need to hook a remote wire from the cap to my deck??? If so do i hook it to the same place as my amp remote turn on lead??? Thanks and sorry for the length of this post.

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 646
sounds like a defective capacitor.

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 1255
what cap is it, normally they have to be charged before, you hook a power wire to them. and most of them turn on auto, remote is internal(or at least the ones i have used)

Username: Goose5741

Post Number: 4
its probably defective it wasn't the highest quality one ever, it was pretty cheap (ebay) i'll email the seller and complain like crazy and try to get a new one, if anyone thinks they know somethin thats wrong still tell me though. Ty, i did try charging it via the restior they provided and it was unresponsive.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5279
You need to charge the cap properly.
Capacitors don't break down that easily (no moving parts).
Find a 12v light bulb and connect it on the pos. Now take the other end from the lightbulb and hook it up to pos on capacitor. Connect the neg directly to the cap's neg terminal.
When the cap is fully charged, the light will go out.

Gold Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1220
You know, from that desc. on how to do it, it makes me want to say some of those "How many (insert funny type of person/occupation/thing here) does it take to screw in a lightbulb?"

However, all I see is someone trying to screw a lightbulb into a capacitor. At least, after reading that it's what I'd try to do...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us