Amp for JL 12W6's...6ohm

Username: 04yellowgto

Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Post Number: 1
Hello to all!!! Thanks for your help up front. I recently purchased two SPL JWS-12's. From what I read, these are equivalent to JL Audio 12W6's!! I am on a budget and looking for an amp to push these for under$200. Here are the specs on the subs. 350w rms, 850w max, 2.5" KSV voice coils @6 ohms, Frequency Response: 20.9Hz, Sensitivity: 88dB, 100oz magnet. Here is the link to the subs:
http://www.discount-electronic.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=24104&POWER ACOUSTIK-JWS-12

Let me know if you guys think these subs are worth it and what amps you suggest. I'm thinkin about an old school fosgate 360@2 or an orion 1200d. Thanks again!!!

Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Post Number: 8
any help please?!? Or at least a good place to buy other than ebay!!! Thanks

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 414
well - they're equivalent to w3's in that they're dual 6's. That's where the similarities stop.

Being dual 6's you wan wire them parallel/parallel for 1.5 ohms. The orion 1200D would be a good match IMO. You can get it for right around $200 at ikesound. You would need to be very careful with the gain b/c that amp will probably produce around 1000w at 1.5 ohms 500w/per sub.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4697
they actually are the same sub as the w6v1. When JL came out with the new lines v2's they sold all the extra equipment that they still had for teh w6v1's to SPL who built them and they sell tehm at a much cheaper price then JL did. You want to run 3 of them and wire them in a parellell to get a 1ohm load with a 600 watt amp you wont be unhappy. I have the JL 10w6v1's in the JL stealth box that I ran off of my ppi a600 and they sounded fantastic, and got nice and loud.

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 641
You could use a pair of Xenon 400.1's for those subs, or even a single Xenon 600.1 should power them well. (the 600.1's certificate shows it actually doing almost 800 watts RMS)

And it's at any impedance.

Seth

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 446
I wasn't going to say anything else until I got some verification. That didn't sound to me like something JL would pull.

We didn't sell any equipment to anybody. The original W6's were built with many "open-tooling" parts which were not proprietary. It's possible that some of the parts used to make these SPL speakers are the same or close copies of the parts we used. I seriously doubt that the spider is the same as we still own the tooling for that part... I also doubt that the voice coil is of equivalent quality. I haven't evaluated one of these speakers, so I couldn't tell you if they work as well as the original W6 or not. My hunch is "not"... but who knows?

Manville Smith
VP-Marketing
JL Audio, Inc.

Anonymous

yes they are the old w6 everythibg looks the same even the specs the only thing different is the dustcap and the big @ss jl sticker on the back magnet. overall better than sony, pyle pyramid, volffags,ect........

Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Post Number: 9
Thanks guys!!! Also, when you say wiring parallel, how would I wire the amp to the speakers? I know to run positive to positive and negative to negative on the speakers, but with two will I need a one channel amp or two? How would I hook up the amp to the speaker box?!? One or Two Channel and Hooking either up is basically what I'm asking!!! Thanks again!!!

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 668
on a mono amp both outputs (assuming it has two) are the same channel, so you can either wire the pos of one sub to the pos of the 2nd, then from there to the amp, or just run a pos and neg from the VC's right to the amps outputs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us