4 ohms, 2 ohms

soundnoob
Unregistered guest
Hi,
I'm kinda new to amplifiers and stuff, I had my system installed by a technician but I dont wanna pay again. I just have some questions. What difference would it make if I have a 4 ohm or a 2 ohm on the subs. Say if I have a 2 channel amp going to one sub with 2 ohms...would it cut the power in half if I use 4 ohms??? and what does bridging mean? a chart of what could happen woulld help me out a lot. thanks!

Uneek007
Unregistered guest
I wanna know too.

Bob365
Unregistered guest
Here's some calculators to help.
http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp
Bridging is taking two channels and making one.(+ from one channel and - from the other)
Most likely you'd cut the power in half amd would have to unbridge it and only use one channel since it's a two channel amp. A single channel amp would most likely just cut the power in half. This is assuming your amp is stable at the higher ohm load. Most should be stable at 4 ohms.
Find the make and model of your amp and look up the information on the web.
Example 2 channel amp
200 W x 2 @ 4 Ohms RMS
400 W x 2 @ 2 Ohms RMS
800 W x 1 @ 4 Ohms RMS BRIDGED
Some amps are not stable at all of them, but 1, 2, and 4 ohms are the most common.
Now look up your sub. Find out if it is SVC(single voice coil - 1 pair of connections) or DVC(dual voice coil- 2 pairs) and what the ohm rating is.
If your sub is SVC, it's probably 4 ohm.
If you have a DVC and a 2 channel amp that's bridged, the sub probably a 2 ohm voice coil. Wired in series that's 2+2=4.

Bob 365
Unregistered guest
From your statements, I would guess that you have a 2 ohm DVC sub(each voice coil is 2 ohms) wired in series to a bridged amp. The amp sees a 4 ohm load. If you replace the sub with a 4 ohm SVC, you will keep all of your power.

Now for argument's sake, let's say you had a 4ohm DVC wired in parallel. The amp sees a 2 ohm load. You would only be using 1 channel for the sub. Say you were using the other channels for some mids. In this case since you can't bridge then if went to a 2ohm DVC or a 4ohm SVC, you would cut your power in half.
It's simplified if you use a single channel amp.
Example 1100@1,600@2, 300@4
Everytime you double the ohm load you cut the power in roughly half. Of course, if the amp is not stable at that ohm load, it won't work.

soundnoob
Unregistered guest
Thanks Bob, lol..I always wanted to say thanks to a guy named Bob.

Anyway. This is what it says about my amp... 125 watts RMS x 2 (4 ohm load) 500 watts x 2 max output, 1,000 watts x 1 max (bridged mode)...

I really dont know much since it doesnt specify if that 1000x1 / 500x2 of the amp is 4 or 2 ohms. But if I use two 250(rms)/500W(peak) 4ohm SVC subs (stereo)... would that be able to handle this amp even if I set the gain high? how about two 8 ohm subs?

Sorry about my curiosity, but thanks in advance!

Bob365
Unregistered guest
Don't set the gain high! It is not a volume knob. You'd introduce distortion and possibly hurt the sub. I sure someone can explain the reasonng behind better than I can, but find a tutorial on setting gain and do it the right way.
Your amp's RMS is probably
#1 125x2@4
#2 250x2@2
#3 500x1@4 (Bridged)
Two 4ohm SVC would only get 125W each(#1) if you used only one it would get 500W(#3) Under or overpowered.
Now two 8 ohm SVC subs wired in parallel to bridged amp would give each 250W(#3) Best so far if the subs are 250/500
Have you already bought these subs or are you just asking questions? If you have a budget or some subs that you are looking at, post it here.
Also you may want to take a look at just one better sub(2ohm DVC or 4ohm SVC)and give it the full 500W. Double the power but half the cone area = same loudness(SPL). It can also be cheaper. depends on if you have a box already, shipping, costs of the subs, etc.

soundnoob
Unregistered guest
Thanks for all your help! I'll take your advice as I browse around for a Sub. Thanks Again!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us