JL 1000/1 Turns on and off... help plz

Silver Member
Username: Drpthemc

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 120
Heres the problem... my 1000/1 plays fine for about 10 minutes of hard hitting bass, but after i turn the volume down and try to turn it up again the amp cuts off for some reason. i cant figure out why it does this. i went to check the amp, and everything was on and working... but no bass. i figured something was loose or something wasnt wired properly. i rechecked everything and i think everything was correct. it still had the same problem when i turn up the volume. well after playing around with it for a while i tap/shook the amp and the bass came back on...(i have to repeat this everytime it cuts off) ... why does it do this? i know its not good to do that to the amp but thats the only way it'll play... ahhh why does this amp cut on and off like that...danget

Possible problems:
1. Is it because of voltage drop it cuts on and off?
2. new alternator?...(currently have a optima yellowtop installe)
3. the BIG 3 upgrade? (not yet completed)
4. Ground Wire?
5. Power Wire?
6. Finally is the JL AMP faulty?...(no warranty grrrrrr. -.-)

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 1212
if you chan shake or tap the amp and it does that, then something internal with the amp.

Silver Member

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 121
i was hoping that wasnt the problem... hmm dang

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5239
When the amp shuts down, check the voltage going to the amp.
If it's below 11v, then you have power problem. If it's 12.5v - 14.4v, and the amp still shuts down, it could be that the gain/level isn't set properly. Does the amp overheat?
Also check and see if the amp's chassis is getting shorted to the car's chassis.

Silver Member

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 122
i shall check that isaac... it doesnt overheat at all... gets a little warm but not to overheat...

wut do u mean by "amp's chassis is getting shorted to the car's chassis"? how do i check that...

-thanks guys

Silver Member
Username: Spyder

Eglin AFB, Florida USA

Post Number: 267
make sure that amp is not attached to anything metal including screws......have it mounted on a 3/4 thick peice of MDF with carpet over it if you can....also make sure it's not mounted upside down.....also make sure it's has a good ground......and last but not least make sure you have atleast 4 gage from your battery to the frame of your car instead of that cheesey 10 gage wire most cars come with under the hood!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us