What type of Amp do I need

Unregistered guest
I'm pretty new at this type of stuff. I've learned alot through this website and a friend I know just sold me his two subs. You can see them here http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D5857034523%26&sspagename= STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT%26
So i was wondering what type of amp do i need to power these. I need my stuff to be thumpin' because i'm tired of hearin' all of my homeboi's systems and i'm still rollin' in a stock radio.

They are 2 AUDIOBAHN ALUM12Q subs

120 oz. Double Stacked Strontium Magnets
Power Handling: 1000 watts R.M.S. 2000 watts Peak
Frequency Response: 18Hz 500Hz
Efficiency: 96.4dB
PHAT 1.75" EPDM Rubber Surround
Spun Aluminum Cone
3" 4-Layer ASV Voice Coil
Dual 6 Ohm
3 Ohm or 12 Ohm Operation
Mounting Dimensions: Depth; 5 5/8" Hole; 11 1/8" Diameter; 12 3/4"
Multi-connect Lug Lock Terminals

Help????????

Silver Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 637
9/6=1.5 ohm load
get a 2 JL 1000/1 it gives full power @ 1.5 ohms

u need a amp that is 1ohm stable atleast.
but you want optimized power at 1.5ohms.

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 4551
^that would work perfect, but is gonna cost alot, whats ur budget

SlckJust
Unregistered guest
I just checked some on Ebay and those amps are pretty expensive. Like $500. What if i got a 2 channel amp and bridge them

SlckJust
Unregistered guest
None of my friends know any of the technical things about amps. I'm only 17 and a senior in Highschool so anything from my stock radio will be a step up. I would say that my budget would be around $170 or so. But I got money coming in so i can afford more

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 4554
wow, its gonna be hard to power those on that budget.

Also quick guide, and why not register

http://pub14.ezboard.com/fcaraudiotalkfrm27.showMessage?topicID=27.topic

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 1144
your going to have a tough time briding those on a 2 channel, it goes to a 3 ohm load, your going to need a 1ohm stable or an amp that is rated 1-4ohms, like the JL or the Pheonix gold xeon series i think.

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 357
I think a good 1000w+ 1 ohm amp would work fine for you until you can afford enough power to push them to their limits.

The Lanzar Vibe 1200D for example -- you can get refurbished models on ebay for $120 shipped. That amp does 1200+ w at 1 ohm - should do close to 1000w at 1.5 so 400-500w per sub.

Given your current set up - 500 w to a pair of those might just shock you.

Slckjust
Unregistered guest
Ok thanx i might just take that advice. Take a look at this, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D5857965867%26&sspagename= STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT%26

would that be pretty good for now?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1168
i guess lightning will strike it to see that wattage......

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 619
http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/1541097/vpcsid/0 /SFV/30046/sret/1613218192102212202812202232822132142292862232282892262932302272 34225228241238227234229246

337, for a 1200 watt amp that'll push full power to your load. Should be ideal, too. CEA rated, but actually push out a bit more.

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 368
i guess lightning will strike it to see that wattage......

http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

dumbass...

it's a known fact that amp does rated power at 14v
it stays above 1000w down to 12.8v.

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 369
Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 1218
first off to call names, grown up you are, secondly your dealing with the same company that has pyle, pyramid, legacy etc, so call it what you want, it is very entry level crap. to suggest that amp will do what is says, your cazy especially for stock system..... the only line that is decent is the opti line, and look at the prices for that stuff. You are confusing the opti quality with the rest of their product. All those companies are out of brooklyn, ny. and ther is a reason for it being only $99, and it is rated at 14.8 volts.....

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 379
I called you that because it's perfectly applicable, and I'll stand by it.

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 380
Once in a while you may encounter a person who actually knows something you don't.

I know exactly what Sound Sround is, I know who they own, I know where they operate from and I know what the 1200D does.

That amp's $120 shipped b/c it's a refurb.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1220
regardless of refurb it is what it is crap, buy that amp if you want, do not complain about it later.....opti is lanzar driven it seems, and by the way i have ran their product, it is garbage, but like your opinion of it, it is mine....

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 381
Just out of curiousity...
What of their products have you run, and why have you come to the conclusion of crap?

Concerning the 1200D - If 1200w of real, measured power at 14v for $120 with a 1 yr mfg warranty is crap then I would simply say your definition of crap is much different than mine.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1221
it is 14.8volts on that amp, and i have ran Kicker, memphis, orion and Jl for the decent names, and Boss, pyle, legacy, lanazr, and MA/ultralinear stuff and a brand called logic soundlabs, so i have tried quite a bit of stuff, and sold it also. all those lanzar, pyle, pyramid, in reallity they are flea-market type equipment.

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 382
just curious about the lanzar equipment you've used.
From top to bottom I've found everything to perform very well relative to cost. No, you don't get 2000w from a $150 a/b amp, but the 900 or 1000 you DO get is well worth the money IMO.

It's just unfortunate Lanzar (non-Opti) decided it would help their sales by jacking the ratings all to hell, but that doesn't change what you get for the price.

FWIW - the 1200D --
1262w at 1 ohm - 14v
1007w at 1 ohm - 12.8v

762w at 2 ohms - 14v
748w at 2 ohms - 12.8v

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 384
those are published test specs from carsound.com

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1100
why even bother with him, if he wants to think that lanzer amps put out their rated power then let him.

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 391
Sweet - another memeber in the dumbass club.

Congrats Dustin!!

Just a friendly suggestion - go to carsound, read the review, learn something and get your foot out of your mouth.

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 392
better yet, get out of your happy little ecoustics world and do a search or 10 on any other forum you want.

It does what's advertised, and it always had. When it came out it was THE budget sub amp to have. A lot of power, not much cost.
There was a Tsunami and a Concept that used almost identical boards.

Problem was - Lanzar blew it on reliability, and ended up having to replace a LOT of them on warranty (2 of mine), so refurbs are abundant.

All you ecoustic homers would be doing yourself a favor by getting out from under the Orion/Directed/Kicker club you seem to be members of and learning about some other reputable products.

Silver Member
Username: Spyder

Eglin AFB, Florida USA

Post Number: 268
hehe....i have argued with this guy...he claims lanzar amps are just as good as zapco....i gave up on proving a point he won't listen to....but when a guy thinks slew rate and dampining factor have nothing to do with a sub amp you know you have someone that hasn't experienced a good amp before!

and just to argue a little bit more...you think a lanzar amp will compete with my PPI 600.2 Art Series amp that i just picked up?

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 4642
Upload

Silver Member

Eglin AFB, Florida USA

Post Number: 269
yes i know chauncey.....but i have been drinking and well...you know how it goes! lol!

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 394
Simon - seems your reading comprehension skills are lacking.

Nowhere did I EVER say Lanzar is AS GOOD AS Zapco.

Go find it and quote me - What I said was Lanzar Optidrive can "hold it's own" against anything out there. They may not have the elite name, and they certainly don't have the elite price tag, but they are absolutely on the same playing field. They do what they're rated to do, and they do it reliably - it's really that simple.
Astronomical specs may help bring astronomical profit margins, but they don't bring amazing sound characteristics.

One of the reasons these forums exist is to provide a broad array of info regarding different products, and different perspectives in this hobby.

It's ridiculous how unwilling this forum is as a whole to accept the possibility that there is knowledge outside this forum that might actually be worth taking a look at.

You all should really get out more, and I don't even mean out of your chair - I think that would be asking too much. I simply mean go look at other forums. You might be surprised at how little we all know.

Silver Member

Eglin AFB, Florida USA

Post Number: 271
you have just basically stated you know jack@$%&!!

Silver Member

Eglin AFB, Florida USA

Post Number: 273
"What I said was Lanzar Optidrive can "hold it's own" against anything out there. They may not have the elite name, and they certainly don't have the elite price tag, but they are absolutely on the same playing field." the amps that i have named are no where near the same playing field.......zapco and JL are both built in the US....that might not mean a whole lot to you.....but when it comes to quality and reliability it does....My zapco 1100.1 is a tough amplifier.....if you look the specs up on it...it will say it is not 1 ohm stable....but it is.....now i doubt a lanzar will be able to do that.....the difference between them is a couple football fields man....now get off what ever your smoking and learn some stuff about quality....instead of quantity!

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 400
Oh I see - I thought you were just ignorant, no harm in that. The fact of the matter is you're stupid. Now I feel a little sorry for you.

BTW - JL doesn't build their amps in America.

Don't suppose you know who this guy is do you??

[QUOTE]Originally posted by msmith:
[QB] JL Audio amplifiers are currently being built in Korea and also in China. There is no difference in specification or quality. Each factory is following the same quality guidelines and sourcing components from our approved suppliers.

By building in two locations we ensure that supplies won't be disrupted by a catastrophe at one factory or by political events in one country.

Best regards,

Manville Smith
JL Audio, Inc. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1108
ok i'll make you deal you stick with your lanzer amps and i'll stick with my kicker/RE amps and i'll forget i even had this conversation. ohh and yes i am very honered to be part of your dumbass club.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1233
I did learn something today, at least about kicker....dou you know how they get the Birth certificate, they run the amp all the way until they burn it out, what ever is the last wattage they got is what they put on it. then they send the amp back to the assembly line for repairs...I got this from a manager at our biggest shop here, he said he saw it done at kicker. so if they do it, i would venture that the rest do it...

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 4664
didnt no that^^^^, so its a refurb basically

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 426
Dustin - I've got no problem with RE or Kicker, if I was in that price range both would probably be right at the top of my list. For me to use a 1200D would be a downgrade from my current Zed Audio built Optidrives.
However, I don't have the need to knock decent lower priced stuff simply because I was able to acquire high quality, respected equipment.

This "spirited debate" really wasn't about Lanzar vs whoever. It was about you guys' unwillingness to accept factual info I provided simply because you have "Lanzar is junk" permanently imbedded into your brains.

Silver Member

Eglin AFB, Florida USA

Post Number: 275
and for your information the E series amps are the ones that are built in china and korea...the slash series amps are built in arizona. if you don't beleive me....call JL up and they will tell you.

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 428
here's the whole thread, and a couple verifications.

http://forum.sounddomain.com/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=036473

http://forum.sounddomain.com/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=038211

http://forum.sounddomain.com/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=041242

Gold Member

Post Number: 1237
all those links work great

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 430
as I said in the other thread...

I would have thought you'd be smart enough to figure out all hyperlinks get broken at semicolons. You've got to copy and paste - assuming that's not too much work for you.

Username: Dumbbass

Post Number: 2
HELP!! i have 12w7 and plan and putting it in my honda civic si 04 hatchback..Dont really need the full 1000 rms wattage..cause i know it'll pound regardless what kind of amp do you suggest rather then getting an jl1000/1 amp?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1239
Opti, you really nedd to quit calling people names and cursing at them, it rally makes you look stupid, regardless if you are right or wrong. It really shows how grown up you really are. And why should i have to copy and paste to see a thread? i do not know all the ins and outs of computers, but other people links are not like that.

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 462
appearently these other people's links didn't have semicolons. I don't know the ins and outs of computers either, but it took me about 2 seconds using a little logic to figure out what the problem is.

If you don't make condescending posts such as --
"stop posting links that don't work", and stop and think for a half a second to see if the problem may be something other than my error you won't get condescending replies.

I don't typically post unless I'm pretty damn sure my info is accurate - if I'm posting my opinion I say so, if I'm not sure my info is right I say that too.

However, if I'm absolutely sure I have the facts straight I will argue to the bitter end to make sure the facts are presented. Anything else would be an injustice to anyone reading, now or in future searches, in an effort learn what they assume is accurate information.

Unregistered guest
help please i hav a 1200 watt sub an a 500watt renagade amp an not much if any sound is cumin out it was workin amazinly but its suddenly stopped all the fuses are fine wats gone wrong???
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us