Wuts Up With My Amp?

Silver Member
Username: Joebruce

KY U.S.A.

Post Number: 300
Ok I just bought the mb quart raa1000 its rated at 500x1 at 2ohms and im running one 12w6v2 on it and i am very dissapointed. It just doesnt sound like it should,first off the gain on the amp is all the way up and it still doesnt get loud even when my hu is maxed out. I had my sub hooked up to an orion 225g4 and it blew this setup away, when i had this setup the gain was about halfway up and on my hu i set the subwoofer level to 0 and the bass to -8 and it sounded great. Now with the quart i had to turn the sub level to +4 and the bass to -4 and dont forget the gain is ALL the way up on the amp and it still doesnt compare to the orion setup! I know the g4s are great amps but its only rated at 200x1 @ 2ohms and the quart is 500x1 @ 2ohms so i figured the quart would sound a lil bit better. The reason i bought the quart is b/c i wanted to use all mb quart amps i just got the raa2400 for my comps but its not hooked up so im not sure how good that amp is. Do you all think something is wrong with my amp? It seems like it should sound pretty good,ive heard great things about quart amps. And james i set the settings how you told me to and it sounded better than wut i had it but still not as good as i thought it would be.

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 1099
that amp is not seeing 500w, it is rated at 14.4volts i assume.

Silver Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 613
how many ohms are the 12w6v2?
arent they 3ohms? or something more?

so if the amp does 500 @ 2ohms
and u have it on 3+ ohm sub, its getting about 300rms or less!

Silver Member

KY U.S.A.

Post Number: 301
Yea but my electrical system stays at 14volts all the time,i have a battery volt meter in my truck.

Silver Member

KY U.S.A.

Post Number: 302
No its wired at 2ohms right now its a dual 4 ohm sub so either 8 or 2ohms.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 4990
play around with those settings some more

i have that amp & when i 1st hooked it up i was hardly hearing anything but after it banged my 2 Rs good . I can't remember how i have my settings but u need 2 check it all back ........

Silver Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 617
if u got a meter, measure the sub, after u wire it dowm to a 2ohm load.
once u are certain its a 2ohm load.

i would direct all attention to the amp. =D

Silver Member

KY U.S.A.

Post Number: 303
Could you give me an idea on wut they should be set to,it seems like im missing out on alot of bass it only picks up deep low bass like in rap but when im listening to rock it sounds like i dont even have a sub hooked up. And when i do get bass from rap i have to max out my HU and its still not as loud as it was with the orion.

Silver Member

KY U.S.A.

Post Number: 304
Im already certin its at a 2 ohm load the subs come from the factory wired at 2ohms so thats not the issue i know its the amp.

Silver Member
Username: Kojak28

Augusta, GA USA

Post Number: 189
Twiztid, how are your XO's on the amp configged? Sounds like The XO is down too low. Just a guess.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1111
those subs do not come pre wired, they are dual 4 ohm subs, you have to run parrall to get 2ohm

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 603
Make sure the sub is set to a low pass filter, and around 80 hZ is generally a good place to set your crossover for a sub. The gain should not be used as a volume control, by the way. :-)

Seth

Silver Member

KY U.S.A.

Post Number: 305
Ty, i dont know about all jl subs but the w6 comes with jumpers so you dont have to wire it any way you just run one set of + - from the sub to the box + -. If you read the manual they come with it tells you its a dual 4ohm sub,so it can be wired at 8ohms or 2ohms and in () it says 2ohms factory configuration so i KNOW i have the sub right. And seth i know the gain is not a volume control,thats my point i know i shouldnt have to turn it up all the way but it is just so i get ok bass out of it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1151
then you need a better amp and that sub is not seeing 500w. , because the JL500/1 is the recomended amp for that sub.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5226
TWiZTiD, does the Quart amp come with Xover/bass boost?
If you're not getting much bass, it's most likely the xover and frequency selection.
Don't under esimate the G4 amps. It may have low power number, but it really over performs.

Silver Member

KY U.S.A.

Post Number: 306
So do you think it was getting 500watts from my orion 225g4 (200 x1 @2ohms)? Cuz it sounded alot better but i figured since the quart was rated at 500 rms then it would put out around that.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1156
those orion hcca amps are beasts and cheater amps..... i would have kept that on it.

Silver Member

KY U.S.A.

Post Number: 307
Issac,yes here is wut they are

Gain=8v-0.15v

Phase=0-80

Subsonic Filter
Freq.=15Hz-50Hz

Bass EQ
Q=2-4
Freq.=25Hz-100Hz

LPF Freq.=50Hz-250Hz

And this is wut James Longo told me to set them at and i did and still it sounds bad.

"ok gain should be set at 1/2-3/4, phase should be at which ever sounds best to you, subsonic should be set to 25hz, bass eq at whatever you can before it distorts and set it to about 40hz or so and play around with it depending on what type of music you listen to, and lpf set to 80hz."

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5227
With the above setting, try the Q to 4, then LPF to 120Hz-150Hz and see if that gives you more bass.

Silver Member

KY U.S.A.

Post Number: 310
So everything that james said except change Q and LPF? Ok ill try it. By the way wut does the q mean/stand for?

Silver Member

KY U.S.A.

Post Number: 313
I dont know if anyone cares but i figured out wut was wrong with my amp.I take back everything bad i said about the quart amps,they are great!! The raa1000 came with a wired remote gain/bass knob for the front of your car and i didnt feel like using it at first,didnt feel like running the wire and wut not. But i hooked it up to the amp today and it seemed like it doubled the power of the amp so i routed the wire and mounted that b*tch up front in my truck!! That amp is is great it sounds good on my sub. Before when i said i had to turn the gain all the way up,now the gain is almost all the way down and its still loud. I feel like a dumb@$$ for not using that remote at first but oh well. Now i know that if an amp comes with a remote bass knob its probly for a good reason.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us