Completely stumped

Username: Hurleyfevr

Post Number: 1
guess ill start from the beginning.had two 12's amp everything all got stolen. have started rebuilding with two 15" xplods with kenwood 1800 watt amp, stinger capacitor. problem is hooked it all up battery + to capacitor then grounded the capacitor. the capacitors digital guage lights up 14 volts ya great. finally got the amp in and decided id hook it up the one of my xplods because other has not arrived ran a seperate power from capacitor to amp grounded amp to a seperate ground and ran the remote wire to it. doesnt turn on. checked ALL fuses there fine. i figured something with the capacitor ran the power wire from battery straight to amp and ground straight to amp still nothing.rewired cd player thinking it may be the remote wire, still no power. bought a brand new head unit(cd player) still no the amp will not power on.all wires are 4 to 8 gauge wires. heres the thing had my friends old amp before all i bought all this it worked fine. decided to take out my subs, then i wanted to put them back in a week later. in that passing week the amp was was loose and bouncing around my trunk. i decided i wanted the subs back in when i connected the subs to it the his amp did not work. so something happened then thats making this whole deal not work. its a brand new amp so i know its not the problem and the capcitors gauge is lit up and reading 14 volts so the power and ground is fine new head unit remote wire is fine. What am i missing?please this one i cant figure out?
Thanks,
Travis

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4612
I doubt it since you changed head units but some decks have the ability to shut off subs make sure they are on. Next do you have a spare amp or your buddies amp to try and hook it up again, if it works its the amp. I have seen brand new amps not work before they are man made, not perfect. I would check those things and go from there. another thing you could do is get a test light and ,ake sure that you have power at the amp I know you said the capacitor guage lights up but it doesnt take as much power to light that up as it does to power a amp.

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 1074
first use a test light or multi meter and see if you have power on the remote wire with car on.

Post Number: 2
ya what im probobly going to end up doing is asking my friend who has a 2500 watt audiobahn system if he can just take his amp out and put mine in just to see if it will power up and then ill go from there.thanks

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 1077
Do the test first, same yourself some time and trouble, if you have no power on that line, it does not matter what you do..

Silver Member
Username: Kojak28

Augusta, GA USA

Post Number: 188
I think James may be on to something saying that some HU's have a separate sub control. If your RCA's coming out of the HU are "SUB OUT" make sure you read up on the HU's sub controls. I have a Pioneer and I had it hooked up that way. The bass boost is electronically controlled.

Silver Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 593
sounds like he dont have a ground!
or even a floating ground!

make sure the HU and the amps are grounded the CHASIS!

Post Number: 3
ok found a test light in the garage and the remote wire does have power at the amp.

Post Number: 4
as for the ground im using the same ground i was using when i had my 2 12's its on the rear trunk latch. it still looks fine to me i double checked it.

Silver Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 601
if u got power on the remote wire in the trunk
and u got a ground and positive.. correct?
tested all correct?
then the amp should turn on and work!

Post Number: 5
ya it has to be the amp. im just gonna send it back and get a new one. thanks for the help everybody
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us