Amp gain question

Bronze Member
Username: Tbonez

Post Number: 21
If I turn my gain all the way down on my amp how much decrease can I expect in power output? My amps RMS rating is right at the recommended input power for my sub. I prefer not to overdrive it so I would like to use the amp gain to limit the power going to the sub.

Gold Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1038
You set your amps gain according to the voltage outputs on your HU.

If your amp's gain has V markings, you're set other wise, do this.

Turn your HU up until you hear your speakers start to distort. At that point, turn down a notch at a time, until the HU is playing as loud as possible without distortion (audible).

Next go back to your amp, and increase the gain until you hear the subs distorting. Turn the gain down until the distortion is gone. That is the way to "listen" for the gain settings.

Although you could do it with expensive equipment...But that's the simplest way. Check your gain thought and see if it has Voltage markings, as you'll want to move the gain equal to the Voltage on your pre-outs on your HU.

Hope that helps!

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 745
Yea, like Tyler said, the first thing I'd do was look at the Voltage markings on your knob and set it accordingly to where your HU pre-out voltage would be on the wheel, then turn it like a smidgen down. A shop would probably set your gain exactly for you with an oscilloscope.
Also, as long as your power is clean and not clipped, you won't mess up your sub. (Also assuming you're not over excursing your sub in a ported box.)

Silver Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 294
wut do you mean over excursing your sub in a ported box?

Silver Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 295
hoe much would it cost to get it tested at a shop?

Silver Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 296
is distortion the same thing as clipping?

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 334
distortion is a generic term. Clipping is a type of distortion. When an amp clips, the power being delivered to the load can increase substantially.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5198
It's almost doubling in power. However, that will cause amp and sub burnout over time.

Gold Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1047
Isn't clipping sending DC (right?) current from the HU, to the amp, and then basically straight to the voice coil, which is no better than running your sub directly to a wall socket (only in a slower, but steady deterioration)?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us