Can Amps be wired together?

Bronze Member
Username: Danny525

Post Number: 31
i have 2 mtx4002- 2 channels, they are bridgable to 400rms, now can i wire the amps together ( +and+ -and-) and make it a 800 rms 4 ohm load?

Silver Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 396
only untill u see the purple steams of smoke coming from the cracks of it, with a harsh burnt smell.

That is not even the correct way to strap an amp.

Silver Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksbutg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 258
so why dont u tell him and all off us the correct way...i want 2 know

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
ya if you could, cause beileve it or not, the reason why im on here is because i dont know

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
ya if you could, cause beileve it or not, the reason why im on here is because i dont know, so if this isnt right what is?

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 297
the closest thing to strapping non-strappable amps I would even consider would be something like bridging them each to run one voice coil of a dvc 4. Gain and x/o settings would need to be as close to the same as possible.

Even then I would never plan a set up like that - more of an experimental type of thing.

Silver Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 397
U need a Bridging Module!
And only certain amps will be able to work. (strappable) Its a wayy u can check. But I forgot.
1 amp amplifiys half signal and the other, the other half.
Doing what Optidriven said is really putting each amp on its OWN voicecoil. Same SUB 2 amps!
^^ thats straight competition!

Other than that, u need a bridging module 2 hook 2 amps together... hope that helps.

Silver Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 496
This is how you check to see if your amp is strappable:

Being that some monoblocks are 2 channels already internally briged, these can't be externally strapped...

The way to tell, is with a DMM; measure from the negative speaker terminal on the amp, to the battery negative terminal on the amp for continutity... if its connected, then you can strap the amp, if its not connected, then it means its two channels internally already bridged, and the speaker output is floating, and can't be strapped!

Strapping happens when you reverse the phase of one of the inputs, then one amp basically drives the positive side of the wave, and the other amp drives the negative.
When 2 amps are strapped, you use the positive terminals of both amps, and leave the negatives unused..

This is why you need a bridging module.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us