4 Channel Amps...figuring wattage

Bronze Member
Username: Afroopuff

Post Number: 20
How do u take the Rms wattage of a 4 channel amp and figure out what i want to go to each channel, like if i wanted a certain amount of wattage going to 2 of the channels for subs, and then the little left of the wattage left for the front to speakers. i dont want all to be the same, is there an equation to figure that out, or can i do anything i want, just depends how i wire it?

Silver Member
Username: Blainew

Post Number: 631
if possible wire the back speakers to lower ohms..or get lower ohm speakers..the lower the ohms the higher the power getting to it

but why not just balence the power to the speakers using the head unit..that sould do what you are trying to do perfectly

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
wait im not understanding, are u saying power the front speakers with the head uint and then get a 2 channel amp for the 2 subs in the back?

Silver Member

Post Number: 635
no...you can just hook up all of your speakers to the amp....

and your head unit has controls for balencing the speaker volume...just make more power go to the ones you want louder on your head unit

ooo i just saw that you wanted to do it with subs

im not sure if you can do that because if you hookup subs AND SPEAKERS ..you have a cross over on your amp..so that highs wont be played out the subs...so you should just get a mono amp for the subs...and a 2 channel for the speakers

UNLESS on a 4 channel amp there is a crossover for each channel

Silver Member

Post Number: 639
do you only have 2 speakers up front??

the only thing i could think of for using only one amp is this

get a bridgeable 5 channel amP9correct me if those dont exist)
and bridge the 4 channels down to 2, for the two speakers

then run your sub off the 5th channel

but you wont be getting much power

explain your setup

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
The thing is, speakers dont take as many Watts as subs do as far as i know, like i wouldnt want to power a speaker with 250 watts, like i would want to with my sub. I asked a question to match a kicker sub i had in another topic and the guy was telling me i could hook up a 4 channel amp to my 2 subs and my speakers at different wattage. I had just never heard of that before and i kind of wanted to know how

Silver Member

Post Number: 641
forget what i sayd about how you cant do that b.c of the cross over

there are 4 crossovers..

so heres what id do..hook your speakers to the two front channels

subs to the two back channels

use the crossover for subs

and then balence it in your head unit

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
well as of now i have setup, haha i got 2 speakers in the front.... and i plan on 2 10's in the back. I am limited for money but i want to get best sound i can get, so my plan was to get power to subs and then power to speakers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
how can i control the crossover, can i make it so my speakers get 100 watts and my subs get like 300?

Silver Member

Post Number: 645
well the cross over is the frequency..thats just so your subs dont play highs

in the head unit..you can just control how much power each speaker gets...not by actual watts...you would just need to turn it up and see how you want the sound

you conrol the cross over on the amp...just turn it to anywhere below 80 HZ for the subs

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
hmm, this seems like a stupid question....well it is....but what do u mean i controll the gross over on the ammp....whats a HZ (im a begginer this is my first system, im attempting to become educated)

Silver Member

Post Number: 646
not a stupid quetsion at all

the cross over is what controls the frequency of the sound coming out of the speaker

for bass you want below 80 HZ..so you just trun the dial below 80..anywhere that sounds good...and those dials are on the amp

then you balence everything in the head unit..like..how much volume you want to each speaker

now using a 4 channel amp will work..but your gonna need a VERY good one....you can but a mono amp(amp that has one channel for your subs) for VERY cheap...under 100$

then just buy a cheap 2 channel amp for the other speakers...youd be alot better off doing it that way than using a 4 channel..

and also if you only have 500 watts of bass...you dont really need an amp on your front speakers..the bass wont drown out the speakers

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
what if i have like 600 watts of bass, im thinking two of these bad boys: http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=14818

so if i did that you think i would be okay getting a mono at 600 RMS and splitting it at the 2 subs.

Silver Member

Post Number: 647
yea perfect....enough bass to sound good...but not enough so that you would need to get an amp for your speakers

when i got subs..i thought baout spenidng another 500 on new speakers and an amp...but then the guy said..you head unit will make the speakers sopund much better..so just replace you rstuf in steps..as you need it.

but yea those two subs with a 600 watts @ 1 ohm mono amp...kicker makes one

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
thanks a bunch man, much appreciated

Silver Member

Post Number: 648
sure thing

Silver Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 995
before you start putting subs on a 4 channel, remember that it will only hold 2ohm stereo load or 4 ohms bridged. that meas if you have dual 4 subs, you can run it stereo mode at get the most out of the amp on 2 channel, if they are single (2)4 ohm subs, you can not run that amp bridged. figure out. And if your running more then 1 pair of speakers in that car off that amp you can not bridge that either.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us