Question with bass boost

Silver Member
Username: Robert_d

MIA, FL USA

Post Number: 448
wats the difference between 12db and 18db

for example if i have a 100 rms amp with +12db bass boost and another 100 rms amp with +18db bass boost will the output be the same (my sub will be equal loudness with either amp)

Silver Member
Username: Blainew

Post Number: 622
you would be able to tell a difference with 18 dbs

Silver Member

MIA, FL USA

Post Number: 451
i was thinking since as you turn your music up your amplifier pushes out more watts (duhh lol) so i was thinkin since you turn up your bass boost that increases the volume by alot so your watts go up but it can only go up to 100 rms so i was thinking maybe +18 db can be more fine tune than +12 db

blaine you sure bout this ?

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 913
Basically the bass boost feature 12 or 18 dB, is an equalization for a set frequency, say 40Hz.

When you use an equalizer, it's not an amplifier, but just it increases individual frequency outputs, but has no real bearing on what the AMP can put out.

However, if you increase an equalizer to it's max dB's for each frequency, and run your subs to a power meter, granted it will say they are seeing more wattage, when in reality they are just seeing greater amounts of increase in frequency without adjusting volume/gain settings.

At least, that's how I've understood it to be. Feel free to correct any parts.

Silver Member

MIA, FL USA

Post Number: 452
thanx both of you for your help but im still confused ... its safe to say the +18db gets louder cause its increasing a signal +18 db ?

Anonymous

The bass boost increases the bass at a certain frequency like Tyler was saying. Since either amp will only provide 100W to the sub, there will never be an increased power comsumption over 100W.

BUT, since bass boost is meant to increase the bass at a certain frequency, usually a frequency that the human ear perceives as louder(between 30 and 40hz). so, that 100w will be powering the sub mostly at that frequency if the boost is full, thus thinking that the bass is louder. the sub will work less to produce a whole range of frequencies and only focus on that set bass boost freequency that the human ear thinks its louder.

Thats how I see it. Hope this makes some sense.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us