Amp keeps on powering on/off

Username: Prettyh8machine

Post Number: 1
My Kenwood 450W amp keeps on powering on/off and making a heartbeat like sound through the subs. It doesn't always do it and sometimes it will be fine for days at a time then randomly it will start doing it again. When it does it is always equally spaced (not randomly popping) sometimes it will speed up or slow down though. Anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this or any questions for clarification?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5151
Check the gain/level setting on the amp. Also when it powers on and off, is the overheating?

Post Number: 2
It is definitely not overheating. Sometimes it does it right when I start my car. As far as the gain settings go they should be down pretty low because I am more into sound quality than spl but I will double check. Do you think maybe it could be a grounding issue or the power control wire or something?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5152
If you have a DMM, then monitor the voltage going into the amp when it shuts down. That will tell you exactly what's happening to the amp.
If you see less than 11v, then the alternator and battery has problems.

Post Number: 3
Thanks man. I think i have a voltmeter so I'll see what it tells me then I guess I'll take it to autozone and have them run a diagnostic on my electrical system to see if I can get any further answers. Maybe it will give me an excuse to get a high output alternator that I'm going to need when I add my third amp hopefully within the next 6 months.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us