HELP! JL Audio 10" W3 dual 6 ohm problem

Username: Shaunypoo

Surrey

Post Number: 1
Hi all,.. I'm sure you all hear about this sort of thing, and I have look around for a simlar post but cant find one.

I bought of E-bay, 2 JL audio w3 dual 6 ohm (300w RMS) speakers already in a sealed box. there wired in parallel giving out 1.7 ohms. I have been told that i need a 1 ohm stable amp to power them, and it was suggested i use the JL 500\1. These are very expensive as the cheapest one i have found in the UK is around £250 ($550 ish), is there an amp that I can get that is just as good cheaper, and is the info I have about the 500\1 correct?

Also, I'm running the infinity Kappa 693.3i 3-Way 6x9's off a 250 rockford fosgate punch amp, (which is ok, but im starting not to like the 6x9's, lovely and clear, with great bass, but just not loud enough, the amps too powerfull i think!) - what suggestions does anyone have on what speakers to get for the front? I have around £150 MAX for those ($325).

Thanks guys

Silver Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 938
a phoenix gold xeon 600.1 it is supposedly rated like the jl, 1to 4 ohms.

Surrey

Post Number: 2
Great, I was looking at these but again, there just a tad expensive. I might just cut my losses as I would love to power these babys propally.

What about the ROCKFORD FOSGATE P6001BD PUNCH 600 WATT MONO AMP

Any good? I'm just confused at wether I need a 1ohm stable amp or not as I know these subs should be in a set of 3 and not 2, hence the 1.7 ohm output. If I can get away with haveing a 2 ohm 600 watt amp without underpowering my subs and drawing too much from the amp?

I'm new too all this so if what I just said was a load of "£$%, please let me know!!! :D

Any advise will be greatly appriciated. cheap and expencive options will be listen too, as budget is not the be all and end all!

Cheers

Silver Member

Post Number: 942
get another sub and run it down to 1ohm, and how much are you trying to spend on an amp. that p6001 is more then the phoenix gold you can run the PG, and the 6001 is only 2 ohm stable so it is close, but not going to see 600w from it either.Bothe amps are rated at 14.4 so the PG is the better of the options considering ohm load.

Surrey

Post Number: 4
I can't really get another sub cause i would have to redo the box etc etc and i dont really have enought room in my boot for another! However, I think my main question is,

can i run a 2ohm amp on these speakers?

is it better to run a 1ohm stable amp?

and whats the best amp to run them, 500\1 or pg x600.1?

Are there any more amps that will run these babys propally!?

Thanks for your response ty.

Surrey

Post Number: 6
Just looked at another thread,,,, what about Directed Audio 750d???

its 600w at 1ohm

and its half the price of all the others, what do u recon guys?

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 230
The directed would work well. Should give you right around 250w per sub.

As cheap as it is you should check out the 1100D as well. It's a lot more power than you need, but with the gains set low it would work great - headroom is rarely a bad thing. At the price it's just hard to ignore.

Surrey

Post Number: 7
Just one thing that worries me, just been checkin out the specs and ive found that the frequency response on the directed audio is like 50-250hz, and the JL audio is like 5-500hz!

I somehow think the jl audio is just much better, hence the price tag. I might just go for that.

I hope these honeys are loud, they better be, cost me loads!!! Are they louder than 10w3 d2's or d4's ? cause they run at a higher ohmage? or is that rubbish?

Cheers guys

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 242
I just pulled up the manual for the 1500D/1100D - its freq response is 20-250, which is all a subwoofer amp needs to do.

The reason the 1500D is so much cheaper, is - 1) It's refurbished, and 2) it doesn't have RIPS, which is the technology that allows the JL to produce the same power at various impedances. 3) It's not a JL.

JL makes sweet amps, that is certain.

2-3 years ago the Directed 1100D (same as the current 1500D) was considered one of the better 1000w+ sub amps available. It ran right around $400. They seem to have fallen off recently, but by most accounts they're still solid amps.

No the D6's aren't any louder than the D2's or D'4's. They just come in various voice coil configurations so they can be matched up with any amp.

Bronze Member

Surrey

Post Number: 11
ooo,. after reading an article posted on here about amps all sounding the same (in general,) Ive decided to go for the directed audio 750d.

I'll let you know when I get it installed and send a pic too, should look SWEET as i intened to do a custom build.

updated audio spec;

JVC AVX-1 DVD head unit
Infinity Kappa 693.3i 6x9
(powered by Rockford Fosgate Punch 250)
2xJL Audio 10w3v2-D6's
(powered by Directed Audio 750d)
Standard front coaxial(for now, need more money!)

Hows that sound? bad, ok, good, wicked?

:D

Silver Member

Post Number: 997
an amp that is rated for 1-4ohms is your better bet. like the JL or the PG xeon series

Bronze Member

Surrey

Post Number: 12
it is rated for 1-4 ohms

600w RMS @ 1 ohm

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/3014.html

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 268
he meant equal power from 1=4 ohms such as the xenon's or the jl xxx/1's.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1005
sorry, it means power is the same, whethere it is 1 to 4 ohms.

Bronze Member

Surrey

Post Number: 13
ok, sorry guys.

I did look at the 500\1 and the xenon's, but they were so expensive in comparison. I have tested the JL subs that i own and the output is 1.6 ohms. So the amp should put out around 500w RMS into them. maybe a tiny bit less, but the unfortionate reality of this is i am on a budget! :-( boohoo to my wage slip!

I'll let you know how they sound though asap. :D

anyway, because of the set power per ohm load, will this cause me any problems?

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 291
the 750d is a heck of an amp for the refurb price, and 250w per sub should be plenty to get good performance from them.

Don't forget, the enclosure is just as important as the amp.

Bronze Member

Surrey

Post Number: 17
The enclosure is built to JL Audio's Sealed box spec to the milimeter, so hopefully that should be good enough. (i hope!) I went for the sealed box rather than ported cause i guessed that I would get slightly punchier, tighter bass that way instead of going for as loud as possible, is that right?

Thank you all for your help, this forums the best!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us