Whine and a hum in my speakers and subs

Username: Basshead2006

Post Number: 2
as i posted i am having serious problems, I have a lot of experience with car audio installation because I used to do it for circuit city. But just recently i built a new box and got all new equiptment and when installed i got a whine and hum from the subs and speakers. I have all top notch equiptment. Extra solid ground, live wires are on the oppposite side of the car away form RCAs and speaker wire. 2 grounds off the battery. And after I installed all of the new stuff i ripped it all out along with the seats and carpets and radio and rewired the radio. and still. then i unplugged the alternator and the whine was gone but the hum remained. what is it i am pleading for an intelligent and correct answer to my problem. Help Help Help

Silver Member
Username: Kojak28

Augusta, GA USA

Post Number: 176
Do you have an eq or line driver?

Silver Member
Username: Goon

Post Number: 355
I am having the exact same problem as Dale Smith. I would like to find a new ground location. Right now my amps ae grounded to bolts that go into the floor on my rodeo. I am not sure if this is sufficient enough, but i dont know where else to ground them. also, could a head unit cause this whine and hum? maybe the HU is going bad or something? can someone please shed some light on this subject...thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Safa19

Post Number: 276
i had the same problem, and the humming would get louder when i stepped on the gas, idk if thats what is happening to you or not but all i did was bought an rca noise filter off of ebay for like 15 bucks, i didnt think that it would actually fix the problem but it really did. my speakers are crystal clear now. i tried to change the ground and separate the wires but it was still there. i even have my speaker wires running up through my headliner just to try to keep them even more separated but that didnt make a difference. just try getting an rca noice filter it is worth it. i got mine from PAC on ebay i recomend it.

Silver Member
Username: Goon

Post Number: 356
Yeah, that is the problem I am having. I've had it for a while but it's driving my crazy now. I will try this noise filter, but i've been told to only use it as a last resort. anyone know a good ground location on a rodeo?

Username: Richie_g

Post Number: 3
you have your ground wire to close to ur alternator so the noise is the charge of it it should be in sequence wiv ur revs of car, pissed me off 2.

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 488
where are your rca's routed? Under the dash board? Near the heat/ac blower motor maybe?

Silver Member
Username: 420pimp2

Post Number: 455
bump

Dan Antoniuk
Unregistered guest
As others have stated it sounds like your problem is due to a bad ground. Consider a shorter ground cable of 8 guage cable about 18" from the amp. Also consider a new chassis ground location if necsessary grind the area down to bear metal. Your head unit could also have a weak ground connection but may not be the problem if you didn't have the noise prior to upgrading. You may also need to change your spark plugs to non-resister type. As stated by others check to make sure your RCA cables run on opposite sides of the car from your power/ground leads. You may also want to check the wires behind the head unit. Sometimes when you slide a head units chasis in the DIN slot the RCA lines can cross over the antenna cables. A final tip is to wrap some electrical tape around the RCA connections where the cable connects to the head units RCA outs(sometimes the cables can touch other metal behind the head unit. This last problem I experienced becasue the shop I paid to due the install had the RCAs unprotected and they were touching part of the chasis.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us