Alternator problems

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 797
ok, i got the Iraggi 200 amp alternator today, got it installed, and i still have alternator whine.

with my old alternator, when i'd unplug the control wires on the side, all the noise would go away, so i figured it was the alternator, but with this one, even when i unplug the control wires i still have noise.

i have taken everything out of the car, bone stock, nothing, no amps, no wires for the amps, no HU, i even put all the stock wires under the hood back the way they were, no "big 3" upgrade or anything, and i still have alternator whine!!
anybody have any ideas?? this is driving me crazy and is really aggervating....

Anonymous

put a bigger fuse in the fuse box for the alternator i had the same problem

Username: Basshead2006

Post Number: 1
I have the same prob and ive done the same thing stripped down the whole car bought new rcas re located ground put another ground from the bat. to the chasis. i unplugged the alternator and the whine was gone but it still had a buzz and it drives me mad and i hear it when i sleep please help somebody anybody and i dont think my caddy has a fuse fro the alt.

Silver Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 813
yeah, i still haven't been able to get rid of my whine. i've moved every ground on the car around.
its really driving me crazy.

Silver Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 321
what whine?
is coming out the speakers?
or do u hear it from the alt it self?

Silver Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 814
i've got it commine from my speakers for sure, maby the alternator too, idk, i kinda hear it everywhere now, lol, i think its comming from my coke can too...

also have a question.
i have that bat cap 300 which i think i'm gonna take out, and i have a positive and negitive cable going from the front battery to the trunk to that bat cap. would it be ok to ground the 3 amps just to the trunk or should i keep the negitive wire going from the trunk to the front battery?? its 1/0 gauge wire, then 4 gauge comming off the batcap. amps are 2 JL 500/1's and a JL 300/2.

Silver Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 327
its okay to grd in back!

noise is coming from your speakers.
what kind of system is hooked up?
did u check the rca cables? u may need new cables!
if u unplug the cables and whine stops, then that is the problem right there!

the whine u hear is what is called a floating ground.

Silver Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 816
yeah, the bat cap said not to chassis ground it, to hook it directly to the battery, but i'm gonna take it out so i'll look for someplace in the trunk to ground the amps. its a uni body car, so theres no chassis, lol.

its not the rca's, i rand new ones outside the car and down the middle of the car, no change. and whith a set of really high dollar ones too, borrowed from a friend who runs a shop.

i'm pretty sure its a grounding issue.

when you check a ground back to the negitive post with an ohm meter, should there be any resistance?? also, should the resistance jump when the car is running from being off?? talking about the engine, chassis and batt grounds under the hood.

Nitro007707
Unregistered guest
If you hear a whining noise when you turn up the volume of the stero, need to add a interference suppressor to the alternator, cheap and simple will do the job

Silver Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 821
ok, today i took out the batcap 300 and the ground wire i had runing to it. i chassis grounded all three amps and hooked the 1/0awg power wire to a distribution block and ran 4awg wire to the 3 amps.

that solved my problem, no more whine!! thats so great, everything works great now.

i guess it was having such a long ground wire that caused it and the increase in amperage from the alternator caused it to be noticed, cuz it worked fine with the smaller, old alt.

and the Iraggi Alternator is great. puts out the 110 at idle and 200 at 1000 or so rpms. the car sits at 14.4 volts at idle and it jumps to 15.5 at 1000 or so rpms.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us