Archive through October 30, 2005

bobpathy
Unregistered guest
Also have a 2001 Pathfinder (65000 miles) with the Err2 on the CD changer. Tried the nissan dealer and they wanted 300.00 to remove and ship out. Called Clarion and they will fix for 110.00. Of course I have to remove myself. The radio has to be shipped to:

Clarion Corp. of America
661 West Redondo Beach Blvd. Gardena, California 90247-4201
Customer Service: 800-347-8667
New & Existing Dealers: 310-327-9100
Phone: 800-GO-CLARION (462-5274)
Phone: 310-327-9100 (MAIN)
Fax: 310-327-1999

Will let the forum know how I make out.

Anonymous

Same story. LE, 65K, and Err2. Will call the previously posted Nissan number to complain. What's the number to call BBB?

diz
Unregistered guest
I called the 800 number above and spoke with a very nice lady named "Pam." She recorded all my info, VIN and problem (err2 at 57k miles). I also gave her the web address to this thread. She said she had heard of this problem before, but didn't know if anything was being done about it. She read back the entire content of my call and had everything accurate, including this URL.

I received a phone call from "Anita" with Nissan a couple of days later, and she went on the attack before I even had a chance to say a word--that any issue I had with my dealer had to be worked out with the dealer and there was nothign Nissan could do. I didn't even know how to respond. I had never alleged any problem with the dealer.

When I asked if she had looked at this thread which was noted in my complaint, she said that if I had a problem with the Nissan website I would have to contact somebody else. Huh? The Nissan website? I had never said anything about the Nissan website.

I don't know if this woman (Anita) just ignored the content of my complaint, or if she never even saw it.

We have since taken the Pathfinder to the dealer ('01). They took the changer out and sent it here: http://198.66.219.68/YourServiceCenter/index.htm

We are now told it will cost $400 to repair and another $100 to install, and it will carry a one year warranty.

diz
Unregistered guest
I called the 800 number above and spoke with a very nice lady named "Pam." She recorded all my info, VIN and problem (err2 at 57k miles). I also gave her the web address to this thread. She said she had heard of this problem before, but didn't know if anything was being done about it. She read back the entire content of my call and had everything accurate, including this URL.

I received a phone call from "Anita" with Nissan a couple of days later, and she went on the attack before I even had a chance to say a word--that any issue I had with my dealer had to be worked out with the dealer and there was nothign Nissan could do. I didn't even know how to respond. I had never alleged any problem with the dealer.

When I asked if she had looked at this thread which was noted in my complaint, she said that if I had a problem with the Nissan website I would have to contact somebody else. Huh? The Nissan website? I had never said anything about the Nissan website.

I don't know if this woman (Anita) just ignored the content of my complaint, or if she never even saw it.

We have since taken the Pathfinder to the dealer ('01). They took the changer out and sent it here: http://198.66.219.68/YourServiceCenter/index.htm

We are now told it will cost $400 to repair and another $100 to install, and it will carry a one year warranty.

diz
Unregistered guest

diz
Unregistered guest
sorry about that. hopefully some mod can delete the extras. network troubles this morning . . .

Unregistered guest
I have the same prob with my '01. 65k when my failed. I'll be writing and calling to help push this issue. I've always like Nissan and bose. Maybe I'll have to kick Bose to the curb.

JMW
Unregistered guest
Glad to have found this thread - I'm having the same problem with my '01 Pathfinder LE. Called Nissan customer service, spoke with a woman named Jamilla (xt. 8423) who was also unaware of any other complaints.

I have an extended service warranty and was trying to find out if the changer is covered. The dealership told me no, but Jamilla told me it all depends on the part number and that the CD Changer Cartridge (whatever that is) is covered by the extended warranty. Has anyone else tried to claim this problem against an extended warranty?

Thanks.

JMW
Unregistered guest
Glad to have found this thread - I'm having the same problem with my '01 Pathfinder LE. Called Nissan customer service, spoke with a woman named Jamilla (xt. 8423) who was also unaware of any other complaints.

I have an extended service warranty and was trying to find out if the changer is covered. The dealership told me no, but Jamilla told me it all depends on the part number and that the CD Changer Cartridge (whatever that is) is covered by the extended warranty. Has anyone else tried to claim this problem against an extended warranty?

Thanks.

Murmur78
Unregistered guest
I just got off the phone with my Nissan Dealerhship where i purchased my 01 pathfinder. I had written in this thread about my issues with the Bose system and how its crap. Anyway, after a month of fighting the dealership and the Nissan warranty, it turns out that they WILL cover it, and they are installing a brand new bose system in the truck. Of course, they have to order it, and its going to take 3 weeks, but at least I dont have to pay for it. I was really close to buying something at Best Buy.
but on a lighter note, turns out I need a whole exhaust system at 60k.

Unregistered guest
Same problem in my '01 Pathfinder LE at 135k miles. Seems as if this changer was designed to break around ~4 years, I do need to get my CD's out, probably follow the removal directions from one of the removal links listed above, this is a very helpful thread, thanks for the information and include me on any joint complaints.

Lynda
Unregistered guest
My family has had the exact same problem with:
98 Quest
99 Quest
00 Pathfinder
01 Pathfinder
The changer is crap and was born crap, and they know it.
Murmur, did you have an extended warranty?

JMW
Unregistered guest
I was told by the dealer that Nissan vehicles purchased before 2003 do not have warranty coverage on their audio systems. I'm going to put an after-market system in the car, but I am going to fight with Nissan on this.

JMW
Unregistered guest
I am going to continue to search for a solution to this problem other than spending hundreds to repair or replace the changer. I will be shooting this complaint letter off to Nissan Corporate tomorrow. Will let everyone know when/if I get a response and what I find out:

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am writing this letter to bring to your attention an apparent defect in the 2001 Nissan Pathfinder. I purchased a new 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE (VIN number _____) along with a 7 year/100,000 mile extended warranty from Sansone Nissan in Avenel, New Jersey on February 28, 2001. The purchase price was approximately $35,000. On September 19, 2005, the 6-disk in dash CD changer (Clarion model number CE018) began clicking, as if searching for a CD to play, then gave up and flashed an "ERR2" message. Later that day, I searched on the Internet to see if there were others having the same problem and, to my dismay, found that this problem is widespread among 2001 Pathfinder owners. Please see the following URL: https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/137782.html. On September 20, 1995, I phoned Nissan Consumer Affairs (please see case number ___) and spoke with Jamilla who instructed me to bring my vehicle to a Nissan service station and have them evaluate the problem. On September 23, 2005, I visited ACME Nissan in South Brunswick, New Jersey, and was informed that vehicles purchased in 2001 do not have extended warranties that cover audio components (please see attached invoice). Later that day, I visited a local stereo repair shop and was told that it would cost $400 to send the defective piece back to Clarion for inspection; repair and reinstallation costs would be additional. The cost to purchase and install a comparable after-market audio system is approximately $700 (please see attached invoice).

This level of customer service is unacceptable with such an expensive luxury vehicle as the Pathfinder, particularly with extended warranty coverage. The Clarion CD changer is obviously a substandard piece of equipment, not worthy of the Pathfinder. The cost to repair or replace these units should not fall to the consumer. A reputable company should stand behind their product. The Pathfinder is the second Nissan automobile I have purchased, and, until now, I have always been satisfied with the quality of the product and the service I have received. My parents, who have been loyal Nissan customers since 1982, prevailed upon me to continue to give Nissan our business, and I have done so. If this problem is not resolved to my satisfaction, rest assured that I will never purchase another Nissan product in my lifetime. In addition, I may choose to retain legal counsel and seek media attention. I do not wish to pursue these avenues, however I will not simply shrug my shoulders and spend hundreds of dollars to replace a factory installed inferior product.

Please contact me via telephone at (xxx) xxx-xxxx to discuss how we will remedy this situation. Thank you in advance to your kind and prompt consideration of this matter.

Sincerely Yours,

xxxxxxx

Unregistered guest
I'm keeping this thread bookmarked for future reference. Somehow, for some completely unknown reason, the other day my 6 disc changer "miraculously" began working again. Was stuck with the ERR2 since 1st week of September.
I suspect will happen again. Guess I have some degree of gladness. I mean, FINALLY got my cd's out of it!!! Frustrating being stuck in this dilema of possibly being forced to spend hundreds of dollars fixing a problem that has become appearent is not our fault. (Let me not forget $1,800-2,000 if we dared to replace it.)
Hopefully Nissan and Bose will soon see this for the 6 disc changer defect it is and show us, their loyal customers, that they're willing to us right.

Username: Fred_s

Overland Park, KS USA

Post Number: 1
Same problem, same story, Nissan should take care of their customers. My CD changer has that dandy Err2 code displaying on my 2001 Nissan Pathfinder, 52,000 miles. What an unfortunate special car club we are all in!!

Dave Denmead
Unregistered guest
Same problem with my '01 Pathfinder with err 02 at about 75000, I've left it alone for a while so I don't remember exactly when it broke, but it was past 50K miles. I was considering going through Johnson to get it fixed, but based on the high re-break rate I'll probably take the unit out and replace it. I was told by my dealer (I have the Gold extended warranty) that it would not be covered over 50K as it is not part of the extended internal/external "durable" equipment. Seems silly to replace it with the same unit if it's just going to break again.

tucson
Unregistered guest
I also, have had problems with my 2001 Pathfinder CD changer. I am a single driver of my car take exceptional care of all the items in my car and am quite pissed that I don't have a CD player due to the incifficent quailty of what they sold me. I will deal with the dealership first and try to get them to help corrtect this problem. Time does not cost as much as buying a new car stero.

Unregistered guest
hey guyz, it seems that this CD-changer thing is a worldwide isssue!
My CD changer is doing the same but to make it worst, I am living in Lebanon in the middle east => there are no Bose dealer over here and sending it to infiniti will cost a small fortune!SO, does anyone have any detail on which internal component is doing the problem? is it mechanical or electronics? so that I try to fix it myself...

Unregistered guest
BAM! I have an 01 LE - FYI, the Changer is made by Clarion, and is not a BOSE unit. The Speakers and Headunit are BOSE. This is a KNOWN issue as the unit is too compact to really work properly, I beleive the ERR-2 message is a jam. The first time it happened to me it fixed itself in about 3 days, and allowed me to eject and re-insert the discs and played fine. This last go around it did not correct itself. Because the discs stuck inside are my favorite 6, I paid Bestbuy 36$ to pull it out. I then opened it up, it is relatively easy, retrieved my CD's wich are fine, and Bestbuy put it back in for free. It is now empty, but installed and STILL gives ERR-2 message. I have an IPOD so at this point I am done with it. DONT spend money on it, get your CD's out and use and MP3 player - problem solved. I have all my music on my ipod anmd therefore could care less if it works. Im done with it and issue over as far as im concerned. Hell, Ipods are 199 and problem solved. Yes its frustrating, but are we going to win over NISSAN CORP? I doubt. I am lodging formal complaints as we all should do, at least do it for everyone else in this forum. Good Luck!

Anonymous

Murmur 78...Are you sure they ordered a new one? The last person I read had it fixed, it was refurbished and the same problem occured twice with the replacement. This entire unit needs replaced with a brand new, but different unit. I spent almost 1000.00 on extended warranty for 2 freakin sensors!! WTF!!! I said something to the dealership, they stated they may cover it.

mike-Z
Unregistered guest
You pay premium for a new vehicle, get the extended warranty from the beginning and you are told that you are $#it out of luck with the err2. My 01 cd broke 6 months ago around 40k miles. Clarion sux and so does Nissan for not fixing this!

Username: Johnny_o

Post Number: 4
Greetings Everyone,
It is amazing how many more posts since last week..

As promised, here is my follow-up from my CD player incident:

When I first experienced the ERR2 message I called the Nissan dealer and explained my situation. I was told that it would be @$285 for the removal of the player and then the service dept would send the player out for repair for an undetermined dollar amount. This seemed like an unreasonable price for a half hours work and I became somewhat upset.

I did nothing about fixing the player but thought about it for a few weeks. Meanwhile, while I was out and about, I encountered several people who worked for Nissan/Infinity service departments and they all seemed to be aware of this particular CD player issue. Hmmm?? I wondered...

Then, trying to save a few bucks, I started researching available CD repair/replacement options on the Internet and I stumbled across this thread.

Things started to make sense-This CE018 CD player may be faulty.

I then contacted Nissan Consumer Affairs, explained my dilemma and provided the link to this thread. They asked me to take my vehicle to the local Nissan dealer so that they could document the ERR2 phenomena.

I then took my car in for an oil change and asked the service department to verify that the CD player was broken.

After a three hour wait the service department tech told me that my car was ready and washed. He then explained that the CD player was indeed broken and that they were going to order a new player at no cost and then install it for free.

Seemed like good news.

The following week I received a notice in the mail that my part had arrived. I made an appointment for the repair and dropped off the car. The Nissan dealership shuttle took me back to work even though it was +5 miles past their shuttle service area. (Thank you Gardena Nissan!)

Later that day when I picked up my car it was washed, the tires had been rotated and the CD player had been replaced.

My total cost for everything was about twenty dollars for the oil change, a three-hour wait at the dealership, several calls to Nissan consumer affairs, an hour of time off work and time I spent researching and posting on the Internet.

My return: Two car washes, an oil change, a tire rotation, a replaced CD player and a reinforced positive view of Nissan.

Needless to say, it took a little time, a few phone calls and some patience but Nissan came through with flying colors. As I said in my earlier posts, Nissan has always satisfied my needs to total satisfaction.

Also, during this entire experience Nissan consumer affairs followed through with follow-up phone calls to touch base and to check the status of my situation.

I realize that in closing I may sound like a Nissan commercial but it is what it is. I have been honest. Nissan has treated me fairly and you folks deserve to know about what happened to the CD player and me.

Good luck in getting your players fixed or replaced.

Remember "Patience, Faith and Reward". It worked for me.

Signing out,
Johnny O

Anonymous

I Have 2005 pathfinder LE ,with 16000 . And Same F.....g PROBLEM !!! No error message on display ,just click-click-click

Username: Path01

Post Number: 2
John Ozaeta: How did you get your dealership to replace your CD changer free of charge? Did your warranty cover it? My dealership told me it would cost $400 to replace or $2000 to replace. Nissan Consumer Affairs also refused to help me out as well. I am so disappointed in the quality and service from Nissan. I will NEVER purchase from Nissan ever again. And I will not recommend Nissan to any of my family or friends.

John, please share with all of us how you were able to arrive at your resolution. Thanks

murmur78
Unregistered guest
I'm assuming the nissan dealership (Johnson Nissan in NY) ordered a new one. To be honest, I didnt ask! I hope they did. The service manager was a "insert bad name here" so I'm sure there will be more drama down the road, but I'll update you all with the news once its installed.

I did purchase an extended warranty (100k or 5 years) when I purchased the pathfinder in '02, it was a "demo" car and had about 30k on it. Its now pushing 68k and I plan on keeping this truck for a while. The things you do for the trucks you love.

Username: Bgunning2

Same issue, stumbled on this looking for information, can anyone say CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT

rogerh
Unregistered guest
I have a 2003 Pathfinder and had the changer replaced last year. The Nissan dealer replaced for free. Just recently, the CDs in the new unit would not eject and would cause the unit to lock up. Yesterday, I pulled the unit out and retreived my CDs. It is not an easy task and I would not recommend it for anyone not mechanically inclined. While I had the unit apart, I plugged everything back in and watched the internals realign themselves and I can see why so many people are having problems. This is a mechanical nightmare at the least. I pushed the load button and was able to load and play another CD no problems. When I went to eject the CD, I watched as the CD started to come up but the mechanism did not raise high enough to come out the opening and then binded up giving me an error. I then pushed the eject button again and guided the CD with my fingers to the slot. The CD ejected okay. Any further loadings did the same thing, bound up, locked up. I called the Nissan dealer and thankfully I took the extended warranty. They said that it would cost me $50 to have it repaired. In the meantime, I am looking at something else to replace this POS with.

M-Thirty-Eight-A-One
Unregistered guest
Wife's 2001 Pathfinder with about 70k miles has the same issues the entire thread speaks of. My first thought is are there any attorney's on-line in this thread to start the grumblings of a class-action?

Second would be for ONE person to run point and attempt to contact EACH person in this thread with vehicle specifics such as VIN, model year, mileage etc and submit that to nissan.

Clarion/Bose should also be included in the loop as they are all part of the problem which is quite obvious as a design defect.

Enough pressure on Nissan in a well thought out manner for a defective product should bring about a recall.

Unregistered guest
Low and behold, another complaint about the nissan 6 disc changer ERR1 message. My Frontier hit just above 51k and the cd player rarely works. I have worked on electronic equipment many times in the past including cd players...my initial guess before removing it is that the laser has gone bad or if there are any belts being used that they may need a change. I am going to check this on mine and if it is a fairly easy repair, I will be more than happy to take on repair orders from anyone else and hopefully not have to charge a ridiculous fee well above the $100 mark. Of course it depends on parts, but I am guessing that things should be relatively cheap since there are so many of these out there.

I will hopefully get back with all of you soon with some good news. In the meantime, if anyone happens to know of the laser assembly part model and manufacturer, I would appreciate the advanced knowledge and find a supplier that can accomodate every one in need.

Good luck to all!

J :-)

Anonymous

Man O Man I can't believe this thread. I just picked up my Qx4 today and BAM I get the error msg, luckily I persisted and was able to get my CD's out. Nissan and Infinity should be taught a lesson. They are cheapening their SUV's/Cars by boasting about these high performance sound systems. They turn out to be crap and we're left holding the bag. I bought a BOSE Wave system and had trouble with their customer service. They aren't all that there cracked up to be. I'll be calling Infinity Consumer Affairs and I'm also going to write to Infinity Corp. about how they don't hold up their end of the bargain when it comes to replacing defective equipment. By the way, on a different note, my QX4 seems to be gulping alot of gas. Any suggestions what I can do to improve the mileage? Thanks for your help.

Username: Skeeterfalls

I have a 2001 pathfinder, and the CD player still works. but i just unplugged it and put in an auxiliary input unit for ~$100 to plug my iPod into. The sound is awesome... I installed it myself in about 20 minutes, with no previous experience at doing any of these things.

This site shows you how to get the front panel off, which was pretty easy http://www.carstereohelp.com/strnissan.htm

This is the vendor for the auxiliary input for $95
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=610

also order 2 of the quick T-Tap blue connectors (15 cents each!) shown on the bottom of the webpage. It will make it easier to connect the auxiliary input into the constant 12V and switched (accessory) 12V wires that come into the back of the radio. Although the instructions are a little dense, they do show you which of the radio wires to tap into for power. with the connectors, it was a 3 minute job. I used a voltmeter to be sure they were the right ones, but you could do it by just following the diagram. The only other thing you need is a RCA to minijack cable - i got a premier quality unit at RadioShack made by monster with 7 feet of cable, so that I could pass the iPod to riders in the backseat for song selection... I also bought an iPod charger which plugs into the cigarette lighter in the front.

I have seen some users talk about hiss and noise without some extra ground circuitry, but i haven't experienced that with my current setup. Cool!

Username: Jayatl71

NOTE: This is not a Bose changer but instead Calrion.

I'm having the same issues, my 6 disc changer is no longer working but instead clicking...

If you hold your eject button for a minute or 2 it will release all of your CDs.

I contact Nissan Consumer Affairs:
VIN# is needed before calling.
1-800-647-7261, option 7, option 4
I spoke to Sydney at ext.3857

I'm hoping that Nissan will take care of the issue but if not I will call Clarion since it is their product.
Clarion Corp. of America
1-800-347-8667

Regards, Jerry

Unregistered guest
same thig will join in on complaint. email me mlien26@hotmail.com

Irritated
Unregistered guest
My 2001 Pathfinder LE has the same problem!!! Click-Click-Click ERR2..... I have removed it and plan on sending it to Johnson Electronics in MA. Has anyone on this thread sent his or her player to Johnson (if so, did they do a good job)? The Lancaster, PA Nissan Dealer is claiming that they have not dealt or seen this problem (I think they are lying and I do not want to give my $$ to liars). If this problem is extremely common (it looks like it is), Nissan or Clarion should do something!!!

Anonymous

I just joined the club....67k 01 LE. ERR2 and lots of clicking. Also note that I am on a 3rd radiator with no help from Nissan, except that they were willing to sell me one for $800 and a 1 year warranty. I will be calling nissan1 again tomorrow, but not holding my breath.

JiggyFly
Unregistered guest
Just called Nissan1 and apparently customer service isn't at the top of their list. Basically the pointed me to the dealer who said they had seen some and charge $75 labor to take out and ship off and Clarion is charging $250 - $350 to fix that piece of crap. Anyone heard anything about a recall? Nissan1 is playing dumb. I am going to purchase a Kenwood that will work with the bose amp and steering wheel controls, but didn't want to spend the money if they are going to recall soon.

Unregistered guest
I also have a 2001 nissan with about 65K miles. I have the err2 message as well. I got my truck back from the shop with the cd player broken. I had a battery go out(complete power failure) and then my cd player quit working. Did anyone else lose power before the problem. I will be filing a complaint with Nissan and the BBB.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 4574
Clarion is probably 2nd worst when it comes to support. Sony is the #1.
Don't let Nissan nor Clarion get away with this kind of service. If you can, get the president/ceo of those 2 companies and write often. They do not like seeing/hearing negative feedbacks, therefore, will get results much faster.
FYI, for around $100 - $200, you can easily replace the headunit with a new one. Don't let them charge you $75 to take out the junk.

Username: Joeyb

I say it is time to take the next step and begin litigation against the companies involved...Nissan, Bose and Clarion! CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT... Since I do not know a lawyer (never had the use for one) would someone please contact one and let's begin a suit against these companies... Also we need to contact vehicle magazines, local dealers, financial institutions, local and national media outlets, radio talk shows, blogs, chat rooms, etc... to spread the word around that this is a known issue that Nissan is ignoring/not acknowledging this issue and screwing the customer. Those of you that are purchasing replacements and not fighting please take a stand on this and let's do something about it... I will put my name and the top of the list if need be but something other than contacting them and being ignored needs to be done.

Anonymous

same here, initially had it when i first bought the car in 2001, they replaced it after a month; now it has returned again, took the cd-player out, but don't know what else I can do with it, I managed to pull one of the cds out, but when i plug it back in, its just go click, click. I'll join a class action lawsuit as well.

Anonymous

I have the same vehicle with the same problem, 01 Pathfinder with Err2 on my Bose system. I guess Nissan isn't going to do anything about this. A few of my friends have considered purchasing Nissan vehicles and all I had to do is show them this thread to convince them otherwise. So far I have succeeded in stopping four sales. I will start handing out fliers on Saturday at my local Nissan Dealer here in Phoenix.

Anonymous

Hey everyone, I just came across this thread while looking for a replacement Bose Changer for my 01 Nissan Pathfinder. Funny how this problem is so common that this is one of the first things that comes up on google when you search. Anyhow, I went through a similar problem with GM when they were having thousands of HVAC system problems but refused to do anything about it. I sued them and settled out of court. I'm going to call the same firm that handled that case for this one and do this again. I honestly don't think a class action lawsuit will be the best way to handle this, I think we each need to have an individual case against Nissan. You'll get more from an individual case than a class action suit. Anyhow, I went through Krohn & Moss last time with GM and I'm going to call them again for this one-- I am glad I found this thread!!!! I was about to dish out the money for another bose unit. These guys were great, they had GM by the cajones and I got paid for it. LOL! Nissan is going to pay big for this.

Username: Bgunning2

Hey Anonymous with the law suit on GM above, who can I contact at that firm, Nissan was just plain arrogant when I called, I want them to pay the piper.

Anonymous

I have had the same issue on my '01 pathfinder but I have 125k miles. Terrible experience and thanks for everyone putting the information out there. Clearly a product defect and a terrible overall experience for customers using Bose (Clarion) or Nissan

Unregistered guest
I just bought an '03 Pathfinder with the 6 disc changer in it. I'm not getting the err messages, but for some reason only with the CD player, the left speakers wont work. Anyone else had this problem?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4612
Sabrina, if your radio is not working properly with a cd, then either, your cd has some bad tracks or your cd player has a defective left channel. Don't waste your money on having it repaired. Those crooks at Nissan will charge you more than the value of the unit.
Also, if the 6 cd changer is an external unit, have the cables checked. It could come loose over time.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4613
One other thing you can try. Get a cd lens cleaner and try that on your cd changer. Maybe the lens are dirty.

Username: Boseakhvash

I have a Nissan Bose radio cassette 6 CD changer I like to sell. Anybody interested email me at andrewzanjani@cox.net.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4621
Do a search on Bose review on this forum. There was a link that showed just how good Bose system were. That was a joke. They make overrated products.
I think it was Consumers Report that did the review. They got sued by Bose for getting a negative review.
Somehow Nissan reminds me of Sony. Maybe it's time all the Japanese companies start paying the price of being jerk$ towards consumers. I really don't understand why the US love their products do much. Lot, if not all of the Asian countries hate Japanese products. Not that they're low quality (except Sony), they just don't like being treated like dirt by Japanese manufacturers/support people.
Start boycotting anything that's Japanese, starting with Sony!

Anonymous

Having the same issues as everyone else. Tried the dealer..no luck.. giving Nissan1 a try.. wish me luck, I'm going to need it.

Anonymous

I've got the same problem on my '01, 59k miles. I want revenge from Nissan. They're screwing all of us and acting like they don't have a problem. I say vandalize their cars and leave letter behind saying to fix the cd players. If it makes it on the 6 o clock news, maybe they'll do something about it.

NF
Unregistered guest
I just called 800(Nissan1) and filed a complaint. The woman that I spoke to (she was very polite) stated that there is nothing reported in regards to an issue with the Clarion CD changer. She did suggest that I contact Clarion (I am sure they will want me to pay for them to fix it).

I noticed "Irritated" posted a place to get it fixed (Johnson Electronics in MA). I found them on the web and I am also curious whether anyone has got their CD Changer repaired there.

If the gentleman can post Krohn & Moss telephone#, location, and individual to contact, it will really help the rest of us out. Personally, I would be thrilled with an out of court settlement. If a LOT of these things are breaking, then why should we have to shell out $$ for a part that obviously has a limited service life.

Problem resolution:
• National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA)
Automated Response Line - 703-821-7144
Dispute with new car dealer, Press 1
Problems with vehicle, Press 2
Safety/Recall info, Press 3
Member line - 770-432-1658

• Better Business Bureau - Autoline - 800-955-5100
Mediation/arbitration reps help settle disputes with the following manufacturers: Acura, Alfa Romeo, AM, GM, Audi, Honda, Hummer, Hyundai, Infiniti, Isuzu, Kia, Land Rover, Lexus, Nissan, Porsche, Saab, Saturn, Sterling, Toyota & VW

•Federal Trade Commission - 877-438-4338
Enforces the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act, which provides the consumer a private right to sue car manufacturer for lemon.

Post Number: 3
Hopefully this will help...
1. Nissan Consumer Affairs will only report the problem and give you a case no. BUT...report it anyway.

2. Clarion CSRs' are DUMB, I spoke to 4 different people and they are CLUELESS. They claim to know nothing of the issue and advised that I call Nissan Consumer Affairs. It is indeed Clarion that built the 6 disc CD changer and it is a known fact that THEY know of this problem per Nissan Consumer Affairs, local dealerships and Authorized Clarion Repair shops.

3. I called the dealership where I purchased my 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE and spoke to the service manager. I explained my problem and he said "Mr. King, bring it right in and we will replace it for FREE". I was so suprised that I asked him to repeat what he said. He stated that they replace it with a new unit and send back the defective unit to CLARION for an exchange. That's right they have the power to force Clarion to take back their defective CRAP.

Good Luck, Jerry

Gold Member

Post Number: 4734
That's what I've been telling everyone, just how bad Clarion was with customer service. They also make lousy products.

Anonymous

I went to the Mossy Nissan dealership in Houston. The customer service guy there said that he's had to send hundrends of these units back. He said it is only covered in the 3 year/36,000 mile warranty and that there isn't anything he can do. His name was Enrique Blackman and he can be reached at 281-496-2200. I wonder if we can record him saying this and then use it as evidence for a lawsuit against Nissan.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4743
Sounds like Nissan has made too much money and no longer cares about customer satifaction.
All it takes is few hundred letters to Nissan's CEO/President. They take it seriously.

Unregistered guest
Called Nissan1 to report the problem, spoke to a very nice person, then she told me to expect a follow-up call within 48 hrs. 48 hrs later, Nissan called back, and the gentleman was extremely rude, almost like I wanted him personally to pay for the replacement. Anyways his response was "well you can't expect us to cover every item installed in your car" DUH.. factory installed components should be covered by the person who installed it!! I'm so mad, so now I've decided to take 20 minutes out of my day, everyday and continue to call Nissan1. might not get it resolved, but I'll feel alot better.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4746
Darlene, ask for the top person at Nissan and explain very politely first. Don't settle for an assistant cause they don't really care.
I've done it in the past and it works. As you go up in chain, they expect a little more respect and courtesy. If you give them that, they listen. Some will even go against their own policy to help you.
If that fails, then everything is a fair game.
Every negative emails/letters/phone calls they get, it counts. It may sound like a waste of time, but sooner or later, someone with powers will get the message.

QX
Unregistered guest
Does anyone here have the skills to write a quick web interface to a database where we could all report our info? I would think fields would be name, brand, model, year, mileage and error.

Just a thought to help us catalog all of us with the issue.

QX
Unregistered guest
Does anyone here have the skills to write a quick web interface to a database where we could all report our info? I would think fields would be name, brand, model, year, mileage and error.

Just a thought to help us catalog all of us with the issue.

Unregistered guest
Isaac,
Thanks for the advice.. I am going to try that. I am also composing a letter that I am going to send to both the dealership and to Nissan directly.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4761
Great. Keep me posted on how it turns out.
It really did work for me. They replaced the item and went against their policy that was clearly written on my invoice.

robertjp1
Unregistered guest
Im the newest member of the screwed cd club.
My 01 Pathfinder 58k cd started not playing any discs but just going to the next dic today. Im flabbergasted at all the people with the same problem. Screw Nissan..Screw Clarion. All I want to know is 2 things.
Is there an adapter I can buy that will let me use an other brand with the Bose amplifier system?
Will I ever be able to use my steering wheel remote again with another brand?

Username: Holdenjc

Madison, Mississippi USA

Same problem here...clicking sound and ERR2 in a 2001 Pathfinder with a CE018 CD player. Happened early Oct 2005 with about 65k miles. Sounds like planned obsolescence. holdenjc@yahoo.com

T Conrad
Unregistered guest
62K - same problem. this is absolutely ridiculous.

J Woodworth
Unregistered guest
Same problem. I'm in the process of contacting Nissan now.

Anonymous

We bought our Pathfinder September 2001 and have put 92,000 miles and last night the CD changer went click-click-click. I did a google search and was suprised to read so many negative posts.

Wow, I am suprised there wasn't a recall on the unit because I continue to take my eyes off the road to get my CD back out ot the changer. Never would have thought my 6-CD changer problem would be this popular.

Thanks goodness Clarion doesn't manufacture airplane engines!

Gold Member

Post Number: 4800
Shhhh, you might give them ideas.

Username: Paradigm_76

Just to add another victim to the list my...my 2001 QX4 cd changer went out last week. I had the same issue in 2004 and it was replaced under warranty. Since the warranty has expired the dealer will not replace this time. I am contacting Nissan/Infiniti to echo the sentiments of every person on this post.

Unregistered guest
Me too. Get ERR1 in 2001 Pathfinder with Bose and 38K. Same symptoms, will not play. Removed by prying out top vent then removing screws and pulling off cover. Have appt. with dealer who says he can fix for no more than 1/2 hour labor. I agree unit is junk and Nissan s/b responsible.

SJ Hom
Unregistered guest
I knew I wasn't the problem. Mine originally started giving me problems when I got the 01 Pathfinder brand new in July of 2000. A few clicks and not "catching" the CD on the first insert or would get "stuck", but it would happen 2-3 x's/ yr.
So now 78k miles later ERR2!!!!!
I guess I'm going to have to go the route many of you have....ie Call & complain as well as find another suitable replacement option.
It just makes me leery about purchasing another Nissan vehicle in the near future, since I am looking to tradeout the Pathfinder for an Xterra.
Thanks for all your comments.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4817
Do not support Nissan any more!

Mattie V
Unregistered guest
Add another to the list. Just bought a new cd at best buy and when i got home tried to take it out....click, click, click. I have a 2001 Pathfinder with ~ 61,000 miles. I am about to call customer service and file a report i guess...

Driven Insane
Unregistered guest
"And another one bites the dust.."
Add me to the list. 2001 Pathfinder with @65k. Two weeks ago the "Err2" message showed up. I was able to eject all my disks though.
I called my dealership and they stated all they can do is pull the unit out and send it in for repair, for around $300.00. (I'm liking the Ipod option more and more ;)

I read in the owners manual where it states to NOT use CD-Rs in the unit due to possible damage to the player. I have played CD-R's in it so that might be the cause, but I'm wondering if anyone knows why a CD-R could cause a failure? Rotational weight? I haven't seen any post regarding this factoid so I thought I'd bring it up. Can anyone with a failed player honestly state that they've never played a CD-R in their busted player? Just trying to figure out what's actually broke.

Nearly 5 years of skip-free performance from a mobile CD deck is pretty good IMHO.

dayton, ohio
Unregistered guest
hey guys i have an 01 nissan pathfinder and i had the same problem of the cd changer i sent it in for repairs but broke again so went out and bought an aftermarket cd player. I dont know if you guys know anything about amps and caps and what not but i am planning on getting the kicker L7 sub 2 ohms with the kicker sx650 amp and using 0 gauge wire, however my battery died on me so i went out to sears and got a new die hard gold battery installed and i was wondering if i would need to purchase a capacitor for the system or not because i dont know if the cap will harm the car or help it or not.
so i was just wondering if someone could help me out with it that would be great thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 4826
Dayton, ask your question under Amps.

Niki C.
Unregistered guest
Just skimmed this thread but I have a 2001 SE Pathfinder with 76k and I just got the Err2 message today after I tried to load a CD. It ejected that one but it is still holding my other 5 hostage. I will get on board with whatever. Sadly, I am a law school student so I am 1) poor and 2) not in the position to help with a lawsuit!

I will update with any progess I have.

Driven Insane
Unregistered guest
Everyone please go to http://www.mp3yourcar.com and fill out the request link. The more requests they have for Pathfinders the sooner they'll develop a compatible Neo adaptor.

I figure there's no need to invest more in a crappy product (Clarion changer) when an iPod gives you 2 or 3 times the amount of music, you can take it with you and it's a cheaper solution.

Robertjp
Unregistered guest
OK heres my update. Instead of throwing good money after bad, I got rid of the bose radio and cd since my cd stopped working last week (same problem). I bought a Pioneer Premier unit for 250 plus install. There is an adapter that allows an aftermarket unit to be used with the Bose amplifier system. Crutchfield sells one for 40 bucks, mine was included with the install for 110. Also with this unit you can still use the remote on the steering wheel (Crutchfield too) The install on that was 110 (part was 70 I think). Screw Clarion. You wont believe this, when they gave me the Bose/Clarion back after they installed the new one...there were 2 stickers on them that said "remanufactured" dated 2001. I guess when the car was new Nissan put remanufactured components in this vehicle. I have not contacted Nissan yet, not sure who to contact. Anyways the new system sounds awesome and cost 500 installed with the steering wheel remote. Funny last week the radio(my second since the first one blew a led) screwed up too and wouldnt turn on/off from the unit. Had to use the steering wheel remote. What a freekin joke this is. BP

Bisbee
Unregistered guest
2001 Pathfinder. Got Err2 at 20K miles, which the Nissan Dealer had repaired free. They gave me the broken pieces which were two plastic spindles with broken gear teeth. I have babied the CD player ever since (two years). Today, got Err2 again. What a piece of garbage! I'm not buying Nissan again unless they make right. Looks like I have lots of company.

Unregistered guest
A relief to see that many other guys are experiencing same frustrationlike me. My 2001 Pathfinder with 52,000 is showing ERR2, my CDs are all stuck, helpless and yet to decide what to do. This is insane, we are being ripped off!

mthhurley
Unregistered guest
Wow...I'm amazed here. My 01 Pathfinder ate 3 CD's at about 60K. No errors, just would not eject those 3. At the time, I read about the repairs for $300 and it wasn't worth it since I had 3 working slots.
Well today, at 92K, ERR2.

Funny thing is, I have an emmissions problem and my mechanic told me to unhook the battery for an hour to clear the trouble code and see if the check engine light came back on. The player was working fine prior to the battery trick. Hooked up the battery, ERR2...useless. Now there's 6 CD's stuck in there.

Post Number: 4
Bisbee - try the dealership where you bought it.

mthhurley - hold down your eject button, until you here several beeps, ALL of your CDs will eject.

Username: Holdenjc

Madison, Mississippi USA

Jayatl71:...I've tried holding the eject button down for over a minute and I have yet to get the CDs to eject. I don't hear a series of beeps..all I get is one beep when I push the eject button. What time frame are you talking about??

Unregistered guest
Count me in.... 53K on our 2001 Pathfinder and came up with Err2 tonight!!! I thought this would be an easy fix, and then to read all of these posts.. I think I could just be SICK!!!!! We have a pathfinder and a sentra... the front windows in the 2002 Sentra (with 21K on it) stopped working and now this... we will not buy from Nissan again. If there are plans to go in as a group to Nissan and complain, count us in
Klassy Family

Silver Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 704
always buy american

Gold Member

Post Number: 4888
That doesn't always work. Take a look at Ford/GM, they both make plenty of $hitty cars too.
What you all need to do is, punish those that provide bad service to comsumers by boycotting.
I'd personally NEVER buy/recommend Nissan/Sony crap.
Nissan and Sony used to be good in the past, way past. Now they got too rich and don't give a damn about anyone except the bottom line, ripping people off.
Someone should really invite the president/ceo of Nissan to read these posts.
These kind of service is not acceptable.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4889
Correction, "These" should be "This."

Post Number: 5
J Holden - I don't recall how long but it did take some time before the beeping started, then one after another the CDs came out.

Capital City Nissan will be installing my *new* CD changer this Friday. I will be paying the $90 installation fee.

Again, check with the dealership you purchased it from to get results.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4895
$90 for installation fee? What do you get for that? Was your unit under warranty?

Driven Insane
Unregistered guest
$90.00?! For four screws and one connector? Man, I'm in the wrong business. I pulled my changer out and opened it up last night to see if I could locate any stripped gears. Still hunting.

I spoke to Nissan-USA last week. He was polite and listened to me rant. I was given a "file" number and asked to take it to the dealer to have them verify the problem. He stated that each dealer has an 'allowance' to do non-warranty repairs with, and since this wasn't that old of a vehicle I might qualify. I'll let you know what happens.

A dead changer is pretty minor compared to all the engine/drivetrain problems my friends have had with their GM cars and trucks. Still sucks though. :-)

mthhurley
Unregistered guest
Ok, so I pulled out the changer and started to unscrew stuff and decided against continuing that becuse I would probably do more damage than good.

Holding the eject button for a few minutes did nothing to get my disks out. However, I powered off, then powered on and it started it's clicking routine, I gave it two good whacks on the top of the changer and 3 of the 6 disk lights came on and out popped the disks! There's still 3 trapped in there though. So my skills of deduction lead me to believe this is a gear problem that whacking it reengaged the gears temporarily.

Post Number: 6
Isaac - $90 will get me a new 6 disc CD changer with a 1 year warranty. No, I didn't have an extended warranty but I did speak to the dealership's Service Manager. He said that he knew of this problem and Clarion wasn't helping with the cost of repairs/exchange. He was kind enough to take care of my problem.

bobpathy
Unregistered guest
Also have a 2001 Pathfinder (65000 miles) with the Err2 on the CD changer. I was able to remove the unit myself thanks to the instructions on this forum.
Called Clarion and shipped it to them. They fixed the unit for 110.00. The radio was shipped to:

Clarion Corp. of America

I received the unit back after 2 weeks with my 6CDs. So far its been almost one month without any issues.

Various Nissan dealers quoted me prices from 250-400 to fix the unit. Go figure!!

bobpathy
Unregistered guest
Also have a 2001 Pathfinder (65000 miles) with the Err2 on the CD changer. I was able to remove the unit myself thanks to the instructions on this forum.
Called Clarion and shipped it to them. They fixed the unit for 110.00. The radio was shipped to:

Clarion Corp. of America

I received the unit back after 2 weeks with my 6CDs. So far its been almost one month without any issues.

Various Nissan dealers quoted me prices from 250-400 to fix the unit. Go figure!! If it breaks again, I will be purchasing an Ipod!!!

FuqNISSAN
Unregistered guest
Hello everyone, I found out how to fix these units- you won't believe how easy it is to correct this problem. If you give me a call at 409-767-3875, I will walk you through the procedure. Leave a message and I will call you back.

murmur78
Unregistered guest
My original post was Thursday, July 21, 2005. Today is October 28th.(Almost 4 months) I finally got this resolved (for the time being anyway). The dealership replaced my 6 disc unit, free of charge. They tried to install a refurbished unit a month ago, and it jammed the second day I had it. I complained to the GM of the dealership and they finally fixed it. Of course, there was too much hassle to go through. Next time, because we all know there will be a next time, I'm just getting an Ipod.

Anonymous

Another '01 Pathfinder with the Err2 problem. It happened a little before 100k, but I've also had plenty of problems with the radio, which was replaced twice under warranty. I'll try to fix it myself, rather than taking it in the @$$ at the dealership or paying for a temporary fix.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us