Xtant X1001 vs. Alpine MRD-M1005

Silver Member
Username: Brynm

Prince Albert, SK Canada

Post Number: 135
I can get both of these amps close to my budget the Alpine is new, the Xtant is factory refurb. Which would you guys recommend, I'm looking for 1000wrms at 2ohms. Both would cost around 350-400

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1495
the xtant is definetly a better amp but idk about it being a refurb...

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 767
yeah, Xtant is better in my opinion too.
i don't like the idea of getting something thats been broke once before, but you could also look at it as already fixed problem that could occur with a new one.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 4337
Isaac knows alot about xtant amps - too bad he's not around .

Even though xtant is said 2 be better than alpine , i personally don't like the idea of refurb thoguh it might be perfectly fine .

U should also look @ Jbl 1200.1 which costs around the same & is a decent amp 2 buy ........

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5268
A note about reburbs:

Most amplifier damage is due to a person setting the gain incorrectly, or a mishap in power wiring, general abuse. Commonly, this damages the power supply and output devices. What I'm getting at is that this type of damage is typically fixed more quickly and easily by simply replacing the entire board instead of trying to diagnose all the problems and repair it. It's similar to comparing the way TVs are made today and the way they were made back in the 40s and 50s, today you have modular units where it's cheaper to just put a new board in place. As far as the consumer, you used to call the TV repairman to fix the problem, it's now so cheap to buy a new one that it isn't worth it anymore.

The same thing applies to amplifiers to the company, typically instead of having a technician diagnose a problem, desolder the faulty parts from the board and replace them with new ones, then test the amplifier, you'll just have someone put an all new unit in the old case, test it, and send it off. That's just the way electronics are built these days because parts are cheap compared to labor. Typically with a refurb you're getting a new amp in an old case. Sometimes if it's only one part affected, they may repair it. But 9/10 times, it's not worth it, so they just slap a new board in there.

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 4342
Thats great info there ,Jonathan .

I heard thats what JL does to their subs & amps they give u a new 1 which is less trouble . Had no idea other companies do it so that should be just fine .

but Question is : if a seller does not say that but just "Refurbished" (maybe by them & not factory or is the situation that they buy it really really cheap & did the repairs on their own ) - will it still be a good buy ??? ........

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 4345
hmmm - my post stayed down below

so >>>>>

Upload

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5269
If the seller was credible then it may be a good deal. I wouldn't trust a lot of people to sell me an amp that they repaired.

Refurbished amps are done so because you have stores like Circuit City, Best Buy, Good Guys, and so forth that don't have a clue about the speakers on the wall, much less delving in and repairing an amplifier. So they send it to the manufacturer and give the customer and new amplifier in its place. The manufacturer then fixes and sells it to whomever.

It tough saying who is and isn't honest when they're selling something.

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 3677
"It tough saying who is and isn't honest when they're selling something"

^^True

I have bought refurb amps b4 and have had no problems what so ever, Even if the manufacturer messed something up with the amp, im pretty sure it comes with a factory warranty so u could seen it back as many times as u need 2. Personally i think refurbs are great

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 4350
i hear u - thats why i too am quite skeptical of anything besides new stuff when it comes to car audio unless i personally know the person who's selling it .

Hey Jonathan - since i have your attention , could please post a comment in my thread
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/185631.html

since no 1 has posted anything much on the topic ...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us