IPod connection... will this work?

Cru
Unregistered guest
OK, before I even ask and people start yapping about what I could do, let me say this. I want to hook up my iPod to my car without using a FM modulator or a tape adapter. I DO NOT want to install an aftermarket head unit (mostly because I want to keep the clean look of the factory unit). And, my factory head unit does not have a connection to control a CD changer (so, I can't use an iCruze or something like that).

So, here is my idea. I want to install an amplifier that has both low level and high level inputs. I would connect the iPod to the low level inputs (using a mini-jack to RCA cable) and the head unit's speaker wires to the high level inputs. Will this work? Will I be able to have both inputs connected to the amp and be able to switch back and forth between the two sources? In other words, is one of the inputs disabled if the other one is connected? I obviously wouldn't use them both at the same time, but they both would be connected. Will this work? Anything else I should keep in mind?

I've been thinking about adding an amplifier and upgrading my speakers anyway. So, to me, this seems like I'd be killing two birds with one stone. Thanks in advance for any help.

Silver Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 762
no, i do not think so

Unregistered guest
yeah that will work you just have to make sure you dont have both on at the same time. it wont hurt it to have both on you will just hear both. but yeah it should work and you can control the volume with the IPod

Cru
Unregistered guest
Thanks, guys. Ty, any reason why you think it will not work? Anybody else have thoughts on this?

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

College Park, MD

Post Number: 808
well most amps only have one input, and its line level. so you'll have to deal with your high power output from your receiver separately, and then use RCA splitters to take care of the double inputs i would guess.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us