Are my Sub-Pre outs burnt out?

Bronze Member
Username: Parad0x

Post Number: 32
I tried to hook up a system last week to my JVC head unit (forgot what model, but its only a year old), and I couldnt get it to work.. After several attemps at trouble shooting it, I pulled out the head unit, and used a multi-meter to measure the Direct current mA's (set to 200 for sensitive) and didnt get anything. I changed the voltage sensitivity around from 200 mA, to 2, 10,20, and nothing..

I would think I tested it right, I put my negative needle into the rca hole, and I put the red positive needle on the outside metal shell portion.. I did this for both L and R channels.. I even tested the seperate rear outs that are meant for speakers, and didnt get a signal from either of them too..

So now, I dont know what to do? How hard is it to fix such a thing, would it be as simple as an internal fuse? It is possible but highly unlikely, that I might have put the rca cable down on a charged - plate in the trunk when I was pulling the rca cable to the trunk, but im almost positive I had the deck turned off when I was doing this.. so Its hard to believe I shorted it.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2398
There is a 99% chance that there is no internal fuse. When the RCA's touched the charged plate, the headunit itself might have grounded through the RCA's, though I doubt that as well.

Also, when you were hooking up the external amplifier, what did you already have hooked up to the amp before you put the RCA wires on? The remote wire, the battery constant, the ground?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
well, im not positive, but im fairly certain I put the RCA's into the amp as soon as I got the amp in.. then I put the Positive battery terminal, then remote, then Ground battery terminal. Then I hooked up the sub. There is a chance, but unlikely that as soon as I pulled the rca's out from the deck to the trunk, I put the rcas down on a metal ground plate in the trunk, the plate that the spare tire lies on and at about that time I might have started the deck and forgot about the rca's in the back... but that is seriously unlikely as I remember being cautious about that kind of stuff.

What can you imagine can be done here to fix the deck? How can I inspect it, what should I inspect it for? I've replaced capacitors before (computer motherboard) successfully, but I dont know what the design of the deck is, and I dont quiete want to go opening it up right now without knowing what can be done about it, if anything at all can be done about it.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2399

quote:

I put the RCA's into the amp as soon as I got the amp in.. then I put the Positive battery terminal, then remote, then Ground battery terminal.

That sounds like your problem-the amp grounded itself through the RCA's going to the headunit. You want to hook up the RCA's last and the ground first in order to prevent that from happening.

Most likely an IC got blown...if you open the unit up you might be able to see burn spots or melted/blackened components. The repair should not be too expensive if taken into a service center.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
IC? What's that.

BTW, are you certain there is no hope in doing the repair myself?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 2402
IC=Integrated Circuit. It's a square chip with a great deal of tiny legs that are soldered on to the board.

The reason I say you'll be better off taking it in is because the unit sounds like it will need specific parts from JVC-a service center should have direct access to the correct parts.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us