Mono and 2 channel help pleasee

Silver Member
Username: Blainew

Post Number: 361
if there are two amps that your choosing between....and you could get the same power out of both of them for the same amount of money for your subs...would it be better to get a 2 channel..or a mono...

i have heard 2 channels sound better..is this true?

Silver Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 574
depends on brand and sub set up, is that mono 2 or 1ohm stable, are the subs dual 4 ohm, or what.
what amps are you looking at and what subs do you have

Bronze Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 92
The only objective comparison that can be made between the two classes is that at the same power a class D mono amp is more efficient than a multi-channel class a/b.

However, sound differences between a 2 ch and a mono (class D) are largely subjective.

A class D is usually rated for power at 1% thd while most class a/b's are rated at a fraction of a percent.

Some people believe they can hear the distortion difference between a/b and d, but others claim there is no audible difference.

What we know is that it's EXTREMELY difficult to hear less than 2 or 3% thd in a full range music signal, also - the mechanical nature of the sub itself distorts the signal 5-10%. Plus class D sub amps are routinely used in competitive SQ set-ups.

Based on all that, and on personal experiece I don't believe there is a sonic difference between a/b power and D power in the subwoofer frequency range, but I'm sure there are those here that believe otherwise.

Silver Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 575
no diff to me, i agree. hard to tell at that level by the human ear...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us