Optima Battery

Silver Member
Username: Camaro155mph

Post Number: 313
Ya so my battery keeps Sh*tting the bed on me. Like it barely turns over on these cold mornings i have (5-20 degrees). Its a basic car battery that i have had for like 3 years.

This may have to do with the fact I am running a 1750+ RMS system on the stock alternator daily. I do have a 1.2 Farad Power Cap, but i can tell my alternator isn't keeping up, and is draining some power from the battery. I was wondering if an Optima Dual Post 720 CCA Battery would be more efficient. I talked to my local parts store and the guy said he was knowledgeable in car audio. He said with this battery i wouldn't need to spend $250 to get a HO alt. along with another $70 for a new battery, cuz the one i have now doesn't have much life left. So it is $120 compared to $370.

I just want some opinions on this battery and if it will help my problems.

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 506
Is it a yellow top? Because you'll just destroy a red top the same as you have your driving battery. Also, soon it's not going to start at all, as it already sounds like you alternator is failing to charge the battery.. You might want to run your car for a minute or two, give it a couple of revs, before turning it off, to give your battery a little juice.. If it still barely starts, then yes, your battery is not holding a charge anymore.

Do this, some morning before you start it, use a DMM, and check the voltage on the battery. It should be 11.9v - 12.1v before you start your car. If it's less, then the battery is losing its charge.

Next, test it with the car running, it should be 13v+, and even have someone give it a little gas, and it should go to around 13.8-14.4 volts. If it dosnt, then it's your alternator that's the problem.

You should really just get a HO alternator, as it'll totally fix your problem, not just prolong the day until your current one is all burnt up, and your car wont start.

Seth

Silver Member
Username: Camaro155mph

Post Number: 314
whats the difference between a red top and a yellow top???

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 510
a red top is not meant for deep cycle applications, and is not under warranty if you use it for heavy car audio applications. (they wouldnt know anyways).. But it'll die just like any other battery that isnt deep cycle will if you drain it under 12v a lot.

Seth

Bronze Member
Username: Jth0033

Downingtown, Pennsylvania United States

Post Number: 14
I have the same question, I was recommended to get an Optima Yellow Top battery as my primer battery rather than hook-up two batteries. Off of the Optima I will be running about 600 watts in subs and amps, and then I plan on adding a lcd flatscreen and gaming system. Will this battery be okay for all of that or would you advise me to hook up two? Would hooking up two batteries put a lot of strain on my stock alternator? I don't have any problems starting the car now, but not sure it can run everything. I will be using two MTX Thunder 421D amps and two 10" jls, but want to add a 7" lcd and gaming system. Will the Optima Battery be okay or should I hook up a dual battery?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5101
Mike, anyone that recommends you to get a battery instead of HO alternator to power your 1750w+ rms amp is a moron. That's like someone giving you a bandaid to stop water leak.
First off, go to a real mechanic and have your battery/charging system tested for FREE. Then invest in proper alternator/charging system.
Depending on your car, HO alternator can be had for $150 - $250. How much do you think yellowtop battery costs? Almost as much as the HO alternator. Don't let them kid you.
Do it right the first time, then enjoy your stereo.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us