Any recommendations for open top Jeeps?

Username: Slownsteady

Barrie, ON

Post Number: 1
I want some feedback if possible.

I have 2 'convertible' vehicles - a '79 Jeep and a '72 Land Cruiser.

I'm looking for a sub and amp set up that would rock - remember - they are both open cab vehicles, so I do want / need added power.

I'm looking at a pair of Alpine SWS - 1242D subs and perhaps match it an Audiobahn A8002T but would like to have some feedback from guys who have better experience and knowledge.

If possible, I would like a quick disconnect system whereas I can switch the sub / amp from one vehicle to the other. After all, I can only drive one at a time.

Do you think this is feasible?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 657
Open air is no place for a speaker.

Speakers work off of reverbration.

Speakers need an enclosed listening area.

About the only type of subs that will work in an open area would be ones that have extremely high Qts (70 and above).

High Qts drivers may be used in infinite baffle designs (designs where the sub has a front baffle, but an open back as in a trunk).

They may also be used in free air, but the output and sound quality will drop. It is however the closest thing to achieving your goal.

As far as component speakers are concerned, I would recommend a midrange driver that has a concave frequency response. Yeah, I know, its usually the other way arround. If the frequency response is concave that means that the mid-bass and upper mids are more efficient than the midrange. I propose this to aleviate the fact that the midrange is by far the most efficient frequancy range. So to somewhat ballance it all out I would opt for something like this.

Try looking at marine speakers. I believe www.kicker.com has a marine product line.

As far as using the above mentioned items, I would advise you not to do it. You will be greatly disappointed with the results.

As far as a quick disconnect, may I recomend a Ghetto-blaster, lol, seriously.

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 658
For a quick disconnect setup, I would recomend a speaker system, you know the 3way box systems they sell at circuit city.

Just get an amp to power it. And a couple of water proof quick power disconnects, one for each vehicle.

By the way, the bass is not going to be efficient at all. As a matter of fact, I know someone that has done this setup before, and all he got was heck-a-loud midrange. But this beats the Ghetto-blaster, lol.

Just another option.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us