A question about reducers.

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 497
I prefer the way my setup looks when I'm using 0 gauge to 4 gauge gold reducers. Does anyone know if these actually choke my connection? They're 24k gold plated, so I'm assuming as long as there is a good connection between the wire, and the reducer, and that the the connection is secure between reducer and amp/battery terminal etc, that it wont be limiting my setup? Just curious about this..figure it's better to ask and be 100% sure and all..

seth

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 660
0 gauge can handle a lot more current then 4 gauge. that'll be the draw back of using a reducer, but if your not pulling more then the 4 gauge can handle then your not causing any problems using the reducer.

Silver Member

Post Number: 503
Brandon, one of the main factors of gauge size, though, is legnth, correct? I know that copper wire carries more than aluminum... (like how 4 gauge aluminum wire = 8 gauge copper roughly) and gold conducts far better than copper.. So the 2 inch long reducer that's 24k gold plated would hinder my connection?

Seth

Username: Sevenasterisks

Post Number: 4
I don't think that will make much of a difference. The basic idea is to minimize the resistance between the battery and the amplifier (or whatever). A two inch section of 4guage will add very little resistance, so if you are not actually using any 4 guage cable, just the reducers, it shouldn't make much difference.

Also gold does NOT conduct better than copper. I think it is only slightly better than aluminium. The reason it is used is because it does not corode at all, and looks really cool. Copper is almost the best conductor (silver is better).

Silver Member

Post Number: 504
is copper better than platinum?? Never knew copper was better than gold... useful info.

Silver Member

Post Number: 505
Nevermind...answered my own question. For anyone else curious, Platinum is actually FAR worse than copper or gold connectors. Gold has about 79% of the conductivity of copper.

Gold is used a lot because it resists corrosion, as well as it dosnt blend well with other materials, so purity is easily obtainable. As well, gold will adhere to itself...if you touch pure gold, to pure gold, it will stick. :-)

Just thought I'd share w/ anyone else wondering about these things.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us