2 channel amp question

Silver Member
Username: Blainew

Post Number: 253
if you have a two channel amp....and put a two ohm load into each channel..so..two 2 ohm loads(1 per channel)..does the amp see it at 2 ohms..and play its rated wattage for 2 ohms?

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1755
if you put a 2ohm sub on each channel of a 2ch amp...the amp will see 1ohm load.

very few 2ch amps will be stable at this load.

Silver Member

Post Number: 257
so if i understand correctly...any time you put two loads into an amp it cuts it in half.

ex. 2 4 ohm loads = 2 ohm load
2 2 ohm loads = 1 ohm load

on mono amps and 2 channel amps??

Silver Member

Post Number: 259
i talked to soundstorm..and they said that if i have a two channel amp....and i have two two ohm subs..one going to each channel of the two channel amp...since the chennels are separate..that the amp wil be running at two ohms

Silver Member

Post Number: 266
i talked to soundstorm..and they said that if i have a two channel amp....and i have two two ohm subs..one going to each channel of the two channel amp...since the chennels are separate..that the amp wil be running at two ohms

Silver Member

Post Number: 267
??

Silver Member

Post Number: 269
???

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1769
do you have DVC 2ohm subs or SVC 2ohm subs???

if they are SVC 2ohm...
yes, you can run a pair of SVC 2ohm subs on a 2ch amp. BUT most 2ch amps cant handle it if you put one sub on each channel.

when you put one sub on each channel, the amp as a whole actually sees a 1ohm stereo load.

to wire a pair of SVC 2ohm subs to a 2ch amp, you would wire each sub in series and bridge the amp...in this instance, the amp will see a 4ohm mono load.

if you have DVC 2ohm subs, its totally different.

Silver Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 271
no you do not, the amp see the channels as seperate at is rated for such. It is two ohm stable stereo which means each channel can handle a two ohm load, it would not see it as 1ohm

Silver Member

Post Number: 270
thats what i was thinkin ty...

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1775
ok...never mind ***brain f@rt***
i was thinking 2ohm mono...that is equivalent to a 1ohm stereo load.

you can hook a 2ohm sub to each channel on your amp...that will be a 2ohm stereo load.

(its finals week...i'm stressed...my brain aint functioning right...lmao)

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1776
^^^^i take back that last post

to make a 2ohm stereo load...you would have to put a SVC 4ohm sub on each channel of a 2ch amp...here is some text taken from bcae1.com:

"2 Ohm Stereo vs 4 Ohm Mono Loads

There seems to be some confusion as to why a 4 ohm mono and a 2 ohm stereo load are the same, as far as the amplifier is concerned. When two 4 ohm speakers are connected to each channel of a 2 channel amplifier, the amplifier is capable of driving the speakers with half of the total power supply voltage. If the amplifier has a power supply which produces plus or minus 20 volts, it will not be able to drive the speakers on a single channel with any more than 20 volts at any point in time. If we have a 2 ohm load on each channel, at the highest point on the waveform the amplifier will apply 20 volts to the speaker load. Remember that we are only considering a single point in time for this example. If we go back to ohms law...

I=V/R
I=20/2
I=10 amperes

If we take a single 4 ohm speaker and bridge it on that same amplifier, the amplifier will be able to apply twice the voltage across the speaker. This is because while one speaker terminal is being driven positive (towards the positive rail), the other terminal is being driven towards the negative rail. This will allow the entire power supply voltage to be applied to the speaker's voice coil. It will now be able to drive the 4 ohm speaker with 40 volts instead of 20 volts in the previous example. Back to Ohm's law...

I=V/R
I=40/4
I=10 amperes

The same amount of current flows through the output transistors whether the amplifier is driving a 4 ohm mono load or 2 ohm stereo load. As far as the amplifier is concerned, they are the same load. "

http://www.bcae1.com/bridging.htm
that is where i found this text...this shows that my post 4 posts up from this one was infact correct.

if you put a 2ohm SVC sub on each channel of a 2ch amp, you WILL have a 1ohm stereo load!

(dam, i'm ready for this week to be over...i have my last final tomorrow, then i'm going home for a little over a month...i'm burnt out. I have an SPL comp to go to sunday, so it looks like i'm rebuilding my box saturday...)

Silver Member

Post Number: 272
but how is that true if the channels are totaly separate?

so your saying...if i wired each 4 ohm dvc down to 2 ohms

then put one to each channel

2 ohm load on each channel

my amp would see it as 1 ohm???

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 1794
yes...2 dvc 4ohm subs wire in parrallel w/ 1 sub per channel would give the amp a 1ohm stereo load.

you have to think of it like this...yes, there are 2 channels, but its the same amp. (ex... same power supply)

Silver Member
Username: Cadillacdb

Houston , TX

Post Number: 290
If you present each channel with a 2 ohm load then the amp would put out what its rated to put out at 2 ohms the only way it halfs is if you bridge the amp which seems to be exactly where marshal got his info an he got all confused.. but we will let him slide since i know Finals are here an its stressing everyone ( Especially me seeing as how i havnt been able to see my girlfriend or even get her on the phone for more then 30 minutes because shes always too busy do to finals an im sittin around wit BLuee BALLSS )

Silver Member

Post Number: 273
haha well sorry to hear that but thanks for the help

Silver Member

Post Number: 301
marshall, dude it can not happen, and you miss interpeted the article. It has to do with current, with ohms, not the actual ohm loads. An amp ran in stereo mode is two seperate channels, dual 4 can only read as 2ohm or 8ohm, amp can only read either stereo or mono. it will not combine stereo ohm loads.

Silver Member

Post Number: 304
Marshall, i e-mailed the guy whos article you posted, he said your confused. i can forward his reply if you want.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us