My amp keeps shuting down with heavy bass lines

Unregistered guest
ive got a rockford 1500bd hooked up to 2 pioneer(spls) at 4 ohms got a pioneer premier 760mp reciever and when ever i try playing my system loud with a song that has a heavy bass line my bass amps shuts down ive tried changing the ground but the funny thing is ive got to 30 amp batteries on it but i still down think thts the problem here cause i had the same system on my suv with one 80 amp battery and it still did the same.the only way i can run it without problems is i gotta have my sub level at posditive 2 and my lows at -2 or 3 oh and ive got a 1 farad cap on it too,so someone just help me out here is it my amp or im i lacking in tht much power cause ive tried pther amps and tht wasnt the case and common its a rockford 1500bd hooked up two two pioneers each putting out 750 rms and i know im not yet close to cranking tht amp yet cause i had it in action once on my suv and on the sentra i got it now it ent close to that .help fast

Silver Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 117
how did u wire the subs to that amp? how many Voice coils?
is that a monoblock class d amp? is it stable @ 1ohm?

Unregistered guest
they are wired in series parallel and the subs are dual 4 so in series parallel that would bring en down to 4 ohms

Silver Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 119
did u measure the final resistance of the wires goin to the amp? do they measure 4ohms? It sounds like a bad impedance load to the amp. Did u wire these your self?

you are saying u have each sub voice coil wired in series? (8ohms per sub each)
then parrelled both subs after that?
(8||4= 64/16 =4ohms)

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 671
It could be a couple things.
1) First and foremost, your gain could be too high. It'll cause your amp to clip a ton and if your amp has protection, it'll shut it off so it doesn't turn your sub into a paperweight.
2) Your voltage sags a ton because your alternator isn't putting enough power out to cover what that amp is pulling in.
3) What B said. If your amp can't handle the load that's put on it, it'll also shut down.

Unregistered guest
the load is ok cause when i have a single sub on the amp it kills the sub u can smell the coils burning but when i have both hooked up it plays but at high volumes it cuts out the gain isnt high at all its about 1/4 not too closeto half on the reciever the level on subs is +2 and on lows its -2 or 3 i cant bring it any higher and go pass volume 42 and my volume goes all the way to 63.i think it might be a power problem im hoping to get a bigger battery soon but i just find it a bit odd that the amp cuts off like tht and it hasnt start performing half of its potential.the load is ok cause ive tried it at 8 /4/2/and 1
it only cuts out at 4 and 1 these r the times both subs r connected and 2 and 8 i only have one sub on and thts the times i could smell the coils burning.And the strange thing is on my cap when im idling my readings only go as low as 12.5 thats with both subs on.so tell me wht yal think now

Silver Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 677
The coils burning = clipping.
Clipping can be your gain set too high or more likely in your situation, a lack of power.
I'm pretty sure your readings on idle should be higher at like 13.8 or so. Also, you need a HO alternator, not a battery. Batteries don't help anything if they're just being depleted, and caps the same.

Unregistered guest
yea at idle it reads 13.8 but i was talking bout when the bass line hits i get a reading of 13.6.so i guess my problem is lack of power is there anyway i can solve tht other than getting a higher alternator cause i live in the caribbean and to get one for my landrover freelander will be really hard

Silver Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 680
You said in your previous post that it goes down to 12.5 when idling.
Anyway, it seems to me there is some other underlying problem, besides your power problem. The power problem doesn't become a problem until you start jacking the volume up.
At what points exactly does the amp shut down? If you have your volume really high and then you get some heavy bass parts? Or anytime, volume high or low? Turn off all equalization, bass boost, etc? Including setting your bass settings on your HU to center, or 0 (with settings being -6 to 6).

Unregistered guest
it shuts off at high volumes with very heavy bass lines,and my settings are sub level at +2 and lows at-2.i think my main problem is im running (2) 30 amp batteries if i was to get 2 80 amp batteries wouldnt tht solve my problem just a lil bit, cause this amp is a power hog tht i know for sure other than getting a bigger alternator isnt there anything tht can be done to improve tht.im gonna try the big 3 soon hope tht helps

Bronze Member
Username: Parad0x

Post Number: 14
how about getting a capacitor? I think that would help thinsg out by a bit.

Silver Member

New Jersey US

Post Number: 690
Alright, if that's the only time, then it must be a power problem. A capacitor and higher amperage batteries aren't going to help the situation at all. They still need to have something recharging them or they'll end up as paperweights.
There are people that can rebuild your alternator to keep it stock mounting and case, but increase it's amperage output. What happens is you turn the volume up and the car can't handle it. Thus, your voltage drops and makes the amp begin to clip. Your amp must have some kind of clipping protection, so it turns itself off temporarily.
You should do your Big 3 with the alternator upgrade.
What size is your power/ground wiring?

Good reading for both of you on charging systems:
http://wickedcases.com/caraudio/charging.html

And good read on capacitors:
http://wickedcases.com/caraudio/capacitors.html

Please read both. There are also other very informative articles on that site.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us