Which Amp For Two Infinity 12"

FordEx98
Unregistered guest
Hey guys,
First off great site. I know this is the place to go for finding good info. I'm deffinitly going to register when I get a chance. I'm new to car audio, and am looking for guidence on a new system in my 98 Ford Expedition.

So far I think I'm going to go with the Infinity 12" Subwoofer (1242W) offer at Circuit City (2 for $100). This is a good deal right? My budget is low, like $300ish. I'm looking for mostly a good SQ subs but also some that can really pound. I listen to Rock and some Rap, and I wanna really feel the bass when I got the rap on. What Amp do you think I should get? I wanna spend maybe 200 or less on it. The Infinity 12" are 1000watt, 300Watt RMS each, and I want to power two. I also need to get a box which I am unsure of which one to get. I like the looks of the plexiglass ones but those are kinda expensive. I was thinking of the audiobahn 8000T (I think its called, you know which one I mean). Any other suggestions?
THANKS A TON,
Ryan

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 2675
are the subs 2 ohms or 4 ohms

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 1214
you gotta realize though why are they selling them so cheap. probably overstock cause no one is buying them.

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 2680
good point

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 3475
hey wake up CB - the 1242 model is 4ohms dvc

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=15549

2 of those = a 1ohm load so u CANNOT use that amp http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=13490

got with this amp instead
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=13487

great price on those subs cause thats like 1/2 price .......

FordEx98
Unregistered guest
They are 4 ohms according to CarDomain. I hear these were pretty decent especially for 50bucks each. They are the Infinity Reference 1242w. Link is http://www.cardomain.com/item/INFREF1242W

Bronze Member
Username: Mwright1000

Post Number: 31
So if you were to take that amp at mono 1x800 and wire them to those speakers in parallel you would get the speakers at 2 ohms each at 600w rms?

Is this the right calculation?

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 2682
i thought the last 2 might mean 2 ohms.lol,

FordEx98
Unregistered guest
Ya Rovin thats the amp they were talking about. Is it a good one or is there a better one for around the same amount? What ab for the subs. I'm thinking for the price they can't be beat. I'm not wanting to drop a ton on this system, but the Reference 12" look like they are quality compaired to subs around that price range (like audiobahn subs).

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
also that amp and speakers are A LOT CHEAPER ON EBAY

FordEx98
Unregistered guest
I know the amp is cheaper on the Bay, but ebay can't beat the 50bucks per Sub on the 12" reference that C City is offering. Its a buy one get one free deal. With Ebay charging like 30 for shipping from most sellers there is no way they beat City's free shipping/buy1 get1 free deal. The amp I'm thinking of Ebaying if I decide to go with that one. Thanks for all the help so far guys!

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 3477
the thing is very few 600wrms amps go down to 1ohms so thats why in this case & 4 a low budget too, i rec a 2chan - doubt u can get much better new 4 that lil bit of $ .

Crutchfield too recently had that very same deal on those subs - check & see if its still on ........

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
FordEx98 I'm with ya! I'm going to go get 2 myself this week. Now I have a couple questions to add. Is the A8002T in the $200 range the best amp to go with these speakers? Was I right om my calculations above? Also I need a box for these what's better ported or non ported?
Thanks

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 3478
u wire those 2 subs like this
Upload

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 2688
the A8002T is under 150 on ebay, for those it is the best for the price, and i dont understand it all the way, but where did u get the 600 rms

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
I don't know I'm new but trying. Don't I get an A for trying? LMAO

Rovin where do you get the 1ohm from? Is that what the amp is stable at or is that what the speakers will be after wiring them that way?
Thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
Woops forgot to ask about the box which is better? Thanks again

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 2690
Sealed

Advantages:
Easy to build, smaller enclosure size, lean tight sounding bass, better power handling vs. ported design and Linear low bass extension.

Disadvantage:
Less efficient as compared to ported design.

Overall
The box internal volume should be as close as possible to the recommended by the manufacturer. If a box is smaller than what it is supposed to be, the sound will be tighter, but more amplifier power will be required. If the box is too big, then the sound will be muddy.

Ported

Advantages:
More output at the tuning frequency as compared to the same woofer in a sealed enclosure, higher efficiency.

Disadvantage:
Larger enclosure size, Calculating enclosure and port dimensions more difficult,easy to blow woofer if power handling limit is exceeded.

Overall
The box itself acts as an amplifier, yielding to more bass than a sealed enclosure (3 to 4 dB). Ported boxes do not have a linear frequency response. If the box is not built according to specifications, it will not sound good. The box design acts as a filter, cutting off lower frequencies.

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 2691
and u get an A and a gold star.lol

Username: Kevho66

Spring, TX United States

Post Number: 5
Are you getting the 2 ohms because they are DVC?

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 3481
the 1242 sub is a 300wrms 4ohms dvc sub - click on my link above

so 2 of them can be wired togethewr = 600wrms @ 1ohm , but a 600wrms @ 1ohm amp is harder to find & more pricier ...

but if u get a 2 chan amp then (1) 4ohm dvc sub = 2ohms so its a 2ohms load on each of the 2 channels of a 2 chan amp - hope that helps u follow why i said get that amp above ......

Bronze Member

Post Number: 36
So what you are saying is a 4ohm dvc sub wired in parallel is 2ohms. I gues I'm a little confussed with the above pic. It's showing 2 subs wired to 1 channel which gives you a 1ohm load so if you wire 1 sub to one channel you only get a 2ohm load. Is the right?

Silver Member
Username: Young_james

Canada

Post Number: 370
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/wiringwizard.asp?WoofQty=3+woofers&WoofImp =Dual+Voice+Coil+-+2+ohms+x+2&image.x=25&image.y=8

Go here and play around with it for a little while, and get familiar with all the different configurations you can have.......then this converstaion will be much easier for you to understand.

FordEx98
Unregistered guest
OK I think I'm going to seal the deal. Any last comments, again I'm going with 2 12" Infinity Reference Series 1242W. (4 ohm DVC)
http://www.cardomain.com/item/INFREF1242W. This will be wired the way Rovin posted in the diagram above, and powered by a Audiobahn A8002T. What you said is finally making sense to me Rovin. On the site for that amp they have all the info like;
"200 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms,
400 watts RMS x 2 at 2 ohms
800 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms"

Since the subs are 4ohms DVC they have a 2Ohm load. And since there are two of them, each channel would have a 2ohm load, and each sub would get 400w RMS... Is this correct? The recomended amount is 300w RMS to each sub, but there isn't any harm in giving it 400w?
I'll also probably buy a sealed box somewhere. Last question, the Ex comes with a decent factory Headunit thats attached to a 6cd disk-changer. The disk changer won't work on other headunits so I wanna stay stock at least for now on that part. This won't cause any problems right, I know I have to get something special because i doubt the HU has RCA outs. What exactly do I have to get? Is there any loss in quality because of this?
Thanks again for all the huge amounts of help!
Ryan

FordEx98
Unregistered guest
Blah sorry to double post, in the item discription it says: "preamp outputs,
preamp- and speaker-level inputs". Does this mean I don't need to get special wiring? The link to the amp is here: http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=13487

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 372
I think you will be quite pleased with those subs. They can easily take 400wrms, just don't get freaky with the gain. You need a converter that will replace your regular speaker wire from the back of your HU with RCA plugs that you can run to your amp. I'm not exactly sure where you can get one, but the guys may know so they may be able to help you out there.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 373
btw, that's an awesome deal on those subs. Around here, if I wanted to buy them locally, they are $199 CAD each!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
Ok one last question.

In the diagram above it states if you wire the 2 4ohm subs that way they create a 1ohm load. So does that mean you can't wire the speakers that way b/c the amp is 400w RMS x 2 at 2ohms?

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=13487

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 374
I think what Rovin ment was to run each sub off of each channel. One 4ohm DVC sub will show a 2ohm load. This means that you put one sub on one channel, so each channel will be operating in a 2ohm load. You can't wire to 1ohm b/c like Rovin said, it's hard/expensive to find an amp tha does 600wrms @ 1ohm. It's cheaper to get a 2 channel and run each sub off of each channel. Hope that clears thing's up for ya!

Bronze Member
Username: Sexytroca

Dallas, Texas United states

Post Number: 22
Hey FordEx98 i have first hand experience with that combo and my recomendation is to wire the subs in parallel but wire one sub per channel. a friend of mine has that combo and is running each sub at two ohms, this thing moves the hair on my head everytime it beats. he has it in a sealed box, each sub gets 400 watts, teust me its the way to go. taking your system to 1 ohm may prove to be more expensive because ull need a capacitator and a whole lot of stuff to keep you battery from damaging with the high power draw from that amp.

FordEx98
Unregistered guest
TYVM for the info Arturo. I will most definitly be wiring in parallel like you described. I'm excited ab the new system. Again thanks to everyone for the help. I'll be sure to post some more info once I get it all installed or if I have any more questions.
-Ryan

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 3518
RYAN -

Do
take
minutes
to
register !!!!!!!!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
Same here thanks for the info. I'm going to try the same set up. Going to biule my own box. Will let you guys know how I make out and post pics!!

If someone would go over to the speaker section and read this post I need some advice there also. Thanks

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/180570.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us