Got it installed in circuit city...question??

Silver Member
Username: Blainew

Post Number: 126
i got all my stuf installed at circuit city..and my amp level was only up about one third the way.the amp is only powering subs..no speakers...they set everything and if i turn it up all the way nothing blows or anything..but should i keep it how they set it..or can i pum it up..my subs can handle it..its the actual level/gain setting on the amp.

Silver Member
Username: Cadillacdb

Houston , TX

Post Number: 263
what kind of setup did you get ?

Silver Member

Post Number: 129
its cheap but i like it...2 audiobahns..800 RMS and a soundstorm f2800...both are prabably overated so even if i did turn up the ampall the way i would not blow the subs..and i have turned it up ..just not for long..but why did circuit city set it low like that..was it set like that..and not meant to be changed ?..or can i change it as i wish

Silver Member
Username: James_g

TN

Post Number: 414
The "Gain" is not a volume control. It's supposed to be set to match the preout voltage from your HU. If you set it too high, your amp will clip and you face a good possibility of blowing the amp and the subs.

Silver Member

Post Number: 134
its not gain sorry..it just says level..is there any chance of hurtng anything by changing that

Silver Member

TN

Post Number: 417
It's still the gain/input sensitivity adjustment. It needs to be set properly. If they know what they're doing, they should have set it correctly. Turning it too high will end up ruining your amp and subs.

Silver Member

Post Number: 135
what have i doneee...if i remember where it pretty much was set at.like within a millimeter..and put it there..will i be okay..or should i go back and have them set it

Silver Member

TN

Post Number: 419
Just set it close to where they had it.

You can do this audibly as well: Turn the gain all the way down (counter-clockwise) and turn your HU up about 3/4 volume. Now slowly turn the gain up until you hear just a little bit of distortion, then turn it back down slightly.

Silver Member

Post Number: 137
okay thanks alott

Silver Member

Post Number: 140
hey james...lets say i have it set to high...will the fuse blow first or will my amp blow?? and can it hurt my head unit??

Silver Member

Post Number: 142
hey james...lets say i have it set to high...will the fuse blow first or will my amp blow?? and can it hurt my head unit??

Bronze Member
Username: Maddrakkett

Post Number: 48
James is correct. Anytime a car stereo amplifier has a control labeled "level" or "volume", it is a misleading label, because it is ALWAYS a "GAIN" control, with the sole purpose of matching the amp's input sensitivity to the HU output voltage.

He's also correct about how to set the gain "by ear", with the HU at 3/4 up and bring amp gain up to where it is just before hearing distortion. You do not need to take it back to CC - you can either set the gain back to where they had set it at about 1/3, or use the test james described.

If you set amp gain too high, it will not damage the HU nor will it blow the amp fuse, but over time (usually shorter than longer) it will blow your subwoofers and/or the amp's output channel(s). The amp's fuse is there to protect against a short-circuit, not careless gain settings.

The gain setting is not something to be careless with. many people think they hear louder output and that their subs seem to be handling it but in reality, they are driving a square instead of sine waveform signal out of the amp and into the speaker. The perceived loudness is actually distortion and it is putting an incredible strain on the amp and speaker coil!

The old saying goes something like: "Amps don't kill speakers - people do!"

Bronze Member
Username: Maddrakkett

Post Number: 49
Here is a great read about an amps gain control:

http://www.bcae1.com/gaincon2.htm

In fact the whole Basic Car Audio Electronics site http://www.bcae1.com is a place all entry to intermediate level car audio enthusiasts should visit to answer lots of questions and provide info that just may save you a lot of headaches and heartaches while also helping you get the very best from your car stereo! And this "bible" of information is completely FREE of charge! Sometimes one can actually get MORE than what they paid for! :D

Silver Member

Post Number: 147
well if you say that when it is distorting that it actualy just sounds like its loud..i gues i will have to take it back to circuitcity and have them fix it..b/c it sounds fine whereever i set it..although i tried to put it as close as i could remeber how it was set

Silver Member

Post Number: 148
well if you say that when it is distorting that it actualy just sounds like its loud..i gues i will have to take it back to circuitcity and have them fix it..b/c it sounds fine whereever i set it..although i tried to put it as close as i could remeber how it was set

Silver Member

Post Number: 149
Preout Voltage & Impedance = 2.2V, 1k Ohm

those are the specs for my head unit

is that what i have to match the amp to??...
if so where should i put the gain..theres no numbers or anytthing on the amp...

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 653
In your manual, it should say what input voltage your amp is capable of. So it should be like 200mv minimum to like 6v maximum or something. If you know that, you can estimate where it should be set. 2.2v would be right around 1/3 of the way up in my example.

Silver Member

Post Number: 150
oook thanks alot

Silver Member

Post Number: 154
in my maual it talks about the gain and not to set it higher than the HU voltage...but there is no range of input voltage for the amp..
here is the link for the amp manual
http://www.soundstormlab.com/home/index.php?md=4
under amps..its the first link..its an f2800
anything u can do would be appreciated greatly thank you

Silver Member

Post Number: 155
in my maual it talks about the gain and not to set it higher than the HU voltage...but there is no range of input voltage for the amp..
here is the link for the amp manual
http://www.soundstormlab.com/home/index.php?md=4
under amps..its the first link..its an f2800
anything u can do would be appreciated greatly thank you
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us