Sealed, Bandpass or Ported?

Username: Clay_g

Redwood, CA

Post Number: 5
should i go with a sealed, bandpass or ported box for my 2 jl 12w3s in a ford ranger. is it also better to point the box down for higher spl and sq?

Anonymous

i had 2 10" in my f150 and i had them downfiring in a sealed box and the sql was exccellant but the spl was crap but that was due to the fact that i had cheaper woofer...now in upgrading to 2 mtx 9500 dvc and am keeping them downfiring in a sealed box. i feel that with them downfiring you will get alot less distortion but probably loose a little spl.

Unregistered guest
i have a 10" sony explode subwoofer. what size box would it work best in ( specs. measurements ) would help greatly . not too worried about space cause it'll be in a saturn . a diagram with specs would be great .

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 1834
the box u got it in. if u can take it back

Sealed

Advantages:
Easy to build, smaller enclosure size, lean tight sounding bass, better power handling vs. ported design and Linear low bass extension.

Disadvantage:
Less efficient as compared to ported design.

Overall
The box internal volume should be as close as possible to the recommended by the manufacturer. If a box is smaller than what it is supposed to be, the sound will be tighter, but more amplifier power will be required. If the box is too big, then the sound will be muddy.

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 1835
Ported

Advantages:
More output at the tuning frequency as compared to the same woofer in a sealed enclosure, higher efficiency.

Disadvantage:
Larger enclosure size, Calculating enclosure and port dimensions more difficult,easy to blow woofer if power handling limit is exceeded.

Overall
The box itself acts as an amplifier, yielding to more bass than a sealed enclosure (3 to 4 dB). Ported boxes do not have a linear frequency response. If the box is not built according to specifications, it will not sound good. The box design acts as a filter, cutting off lower frequencies.

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 1836
BandPass (4th Order)

Advantages:
Bandpass can be designed to play loud or low depending on your needs, by design produce a limited band with, the woofer cone does not move as much other designs reducing the chance of added distortion.

Disadvantage:
Bandpass boxes have a tendency to sound boomy not tight, typically these enclosures don't sound as good reproducing Music requiring great detail such as Jazz or Classical music.

Overall
These enclosures are usually big, and very unforgiving when precise volumes and port sizes are not followed. Bandpass boxes also tend to mask distortion. If you can't hear distortion and turn your stereo down in time, you could damage your subs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us