4 ohms? 2 ohms? 99 ohms?

Username: Justinc123

Memphis, TN United States

Post Number: 5
I'm going to put some components up front. Maybe 6.5 infinity kappas and tweets. One 12 inch infinity kappa perfect 12.1 in a sealed box in the back. My goal is great SQ and full, balanced music--not SPL or really loud bass. I want to run it all on a four channel amp. The rear speakers will run off my factory head in my '03 maxima (w/o bose). I don't have any need to blow my head off with some huge amp. Just power everything adequately.
the MTX Thunder 564 is 70 watts RMS by 4 channels at 4 ohms. But 140 by 4 at 2 ohms. The the heck is the difference between the ohms changes? Will this MTX amp power my system? And if not, can you recommend another amp that's not too pricey (under $200)?

Other more compilcated q's. Can I run two channels at 4 ohms so I'm sending 70 to each of my components? And then bridge the other two and run it to my sub at 140 by 2 at 2 ohms? Or does it make a difference? Hope you guys understand that. I barely do...

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 2834
i understand everything u r asking & more !

alot of ppl posting on this amp section r doing the very same exact thing u r saying . I think that perfect sub is rated @ 400 wrms so that 70 x 4 amp & $200 budget may not cut it . Closer to $300 & 100/125 x 4 chan will be better like Alpine 545 amp .......

Username: Justinc123

Memphis, TN United States

Post Number: 6
Alright, thanks bro. Can you explain the deal with the 4 ohms and 2 ohms? What gives? I have the idea that 4 ohms is giving a more powerful surge, similar to when a faucet is turned on full blast as opposed to say "half-blast" at 2 ohms...right? But how does it relate to my sub? Does it depend on the coils? Someone really smart please break this down for me...

AND if my infinity kappa perfect 12.1 is rated 75-300 RMS, what should I feed it? I think max is around 1000W or something. Again, I don't have any need to blow my head off. Your mom did that last night anyway. Ha. Get it? Your mom?! HAAHAA...HAHA...hahaaa.....ha...he...whooo...Okay. It's late and I am tired. Thanks guys for all your help.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 2841
the ohms on a sub does not actually affect how loud a sub will sound for eg a 2ohm & a 4ohms of the exact same line of subs say like alpine type R series will both play =

the different ohms was created so that ppl can configure it to different amps .

U should give your sub close to what its rated but not overly exceed it by alot say giving a 200wrms sub 400wrms - thats gonna kill it . if it gets a lil less thats ok too .

I'm gonna hit the sack now so i'll leave some sites 4 u 2 read should be around 11 in the morning .....

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-ymhkeYjMfQy/learningcenter/car/

www.the12volt.com

www.bcae1.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us