Nothing to do with amps but wiring.

Silver Member
Username: Sony224422

Deep River, CT US

Post Number: 273
I was wondering how to use the accessory wire to make something turn on and off with the car. I want to hard wire a power inverter in my car, but i don't know how i could do it, unless i tap into my cig lighter power wire.

I have heard that you can run a wire from the battery and put it thru a fuse that turns on and off with the car and then on the other side run a wire to what you want. I'm not sure about this though. Any help would be great. The inverter is 175 watts, so its not huge and it only has a cig lighter adapter.

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 542
there sould be accesory spots on your fuse box. if not you can splice into the cig lighter. you can pick up a cig lighter plug in at a parts store, splice it into the existing wires going to the one in your dash and hide it up under the dash, plug the converter into it and run the inverter wires where ever.

Silver Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 543
*there should be

Silver Member

Deep River, CT US

Post Number: 274
thanks. I will look for a spot in my fuse box. I could splice into the cig lighter if i had to, but im afraid i will draw too much current if i plug anything else into the adapter.

Silver Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 195
I use 8guage wire from batterey to a toggle switch,hten wire from toggle to powere inverter, then you have a way to turn on and off when needed, not having it come on all the time.

Silver Member

Deep River, CT US

Post Number: 276
i was thinking that, but i don't want to forget and drain the battery.

Silver Member
Username: Nutty91rs

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 198
What you're going to need to do is set up a relay, get a regular SPDT 30 or 40 amp relay and get the wiring for it, it will only draw a few amps on the remote turn on lead and will support a 30 or 40 (respectivly) amp draw from the battery. What the relay does is turn on and off with a very small signal so you don't burn out a spot in your fuse box drawing to many amps through it.

Silver Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 556
your not gonna get more then about .5 amps from the HU REM wire though before you burn up the HU. correct me if i'm wrong, but i think thats all you can pull.

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 442
A bosch relay goes something like this...

Upload

Should double check and find an exact diagram of course if you're going to wire it like this. Just for demonstration purposes and all, heh heh..

What this will do, is replace your remote wire, with power from a 12v source, so you dont need to worry about damaging your head unit. Basically the remote switch, is now just used to activate the relay. When the relay is activated, it connects a path (think of flipping a toggle switch) that allows the current to flow to all the accessories etc where you'd normally have the remote wire. Bosch relays cost around $2 at any car parts store.

In your case, if you dont want to wire it to your head unit, you can yes, use the accessory fuse.. They sell small adapters that allow for wires to be attached, then plugged into the normal fuse location, that you could use for this.

Just run the accessory line back to the relay, then have the relays power-out line, running to your inverter. What this will do, is let you leave it on all of the time your car is turned on, (could put in a switch if you wanted to be able to turn it off) and if you forgot to flip the switch off, turning your car off breaks the relays connection anyways, so you would not need to worry about your battery being drained.

Silver Member

Deep River, CT US

Post Number: 277
wow you just confused me so much ahahaha. I realized though today that im probably just going to wire it directly to the battery and have a toggle switch because i had the inverter powering a ps2, but when i turn the car on from the "acc" to "run" the inverter turns off for a split second.. as does everything else while the power is concentrated on the starting of the engine i suppose. Anyways, this like resets the ps2 so if im watching a movie it doesn't pause but it turns off haha. There fore i think im going to just toggle switch it up. I will remember because the screen will be on the same switch so if the screens on then i will remember to turn it off. Thanks for the replies though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us