8 gauge power and ground from distribution block

Anonymous

i have 2 rockford 501bd's and a 1 farad cap w/ a built in distribution block (and a high output alternator). it says the amp needs 4 gauge power and ground. can i run 4 gauge power and ground to the caps distribution block then run 8 gauge power and ground to each amp? since the distribution block goes from 2 4 gauge to 4 8 gauge.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2193
the amps are 500wRMS @ 2 ohms each
you could use 8AWG for each amp and ground from the dist block yes, but keep the runs from dist block to ground point a total of less than 6 feet each.

Anonymous

"but keep the runs from dist block to ground point a total of less than 6 feet each."...im sorry i didnt understand that part, could you explain that again, thanks.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2197
USE LESS THAN SIX FEET OF EIGHT GAUGE CABLE FOR EACH AMP
TOTAL
THAT'S FOR GROUND AND POWER.

I typed it really slowly, too.
I hope that helped.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2198
use a maximum of 6 feet of 8ga. wire for each amp, including both positive and ground.

going over 6 feet with 8AWG exceeds the peak rating for 8ga cable at that amount of current.
~500 watts

Anonymous

thanks i really appreciate the help, but you dont have to make the smart comments. people on this message board actually do have lives other than knowing everything about car audio.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2202
yeah and some of us try to have lives when we're not re-explaining teh same crap to people 12 times to get through to them.
this stuff is all easily found on the web with a little effort and looking.
people are just too lazy and what it all done FOR them.

I don't know why I waste the time some days.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us