Mounting amp on subwoofer box

Username: Nme

Post Number: 6
I am building a box for a 12 inch kicker l5 (4 ohm) pushed by a 600.1 kicker amp. I am using the specs that kicker provides for a vented box.Ill be using 3/4 mdf I would like to mount the amp next to the subwoofer directly on the front or top of the box. My question is will the vibrations and rattling from the sub cause any harm to the amp Thanks

Mark

Username: Speakerbox

Post Number: 10
I'm sure GlassWolf is going to give you the best answer, but my opinion would be based upon chipwood or plywood and also how good of a carpenter you are.

I'll give you some extra advice just because I've seen some failry ugly boxes contructed before, It's not directed that you have no craftmanship to make a simple box, the fact you said it could rattle makes me assume the box you build may resemble a triangle.

The answer to your question is, Yes.

Vibrations can (and more than likely will) ruin your amp, and depending how much it rattles could dent your amp, or cause a wire to unplug which can fry your amp.

If you build the box you should use a leveler to check if the angle of the box is shaped incorrectly, you would want a mounted amp completely level on a box designed for a single 12".

I also would recommend padding for the amp if it's directly onto a wood surface to make a snug and more secure fit.

Driving on a rough road alone can cause impact if your amp is not secure to the box. Well, depending on how you drive.

If the box is constructed light and the width of the box is shorter than the heigh it can tip over depending where you have the box and what type of vehicle you have, also depeding on the length of the wires.

Be sure to check the size of the area you will be placing your homeade box, if the box is too small (over 3inches) you wouldn't want to mount the amp. You don't want to risk it sliding/tipping over and hitting anything while driving on a uphill road, speed bump, or stopping too sudden.

Now that I've offended your box making skills, here's my advice on mounting an amp on a box.

First, grab anything that's square with enought weight not to move even if it's a windy day. You can use a battery, a gameboy, a zippo lighter, or even place a normal sized flashlight on it with the light onto it.

Test if the box rattles or moves when you raise the volume (go ahead and blast it as much as you can reguardless if you'll be doing this ever again with your system) and if whatever you placed on top of the box falls off or even vibrates, it's not a good idea to mount it. If the box moves at all Do Not mount it.

Few people I know have boxes that vibrate when the volume is raised all the way up, but still mount the amp. All of which use a padding between the amp and surface so the amp doesn't have any impact, they just don't normally blast their music and/or care if the amp is damaged.

If the box can move or tip over do not mount the amp, also make sure the length of the wires aren't too short.

Now back to your box.

If you haven't bought the lumber already I'd recommend chipwood just becuase it's softer and your amp and subs will be more secure depending on how you construct it, and it's less impact if you happen to hit a speed bump or get into an accident.

Hopefully I haven't neglected anything, and if I'm incorrect about anything the human reference guide GlassWolf will correct me. I'd recommend you take any and all of GlassWolf's advice, even if he told you to throw your amp in the trash.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2173
the vibrations won't cause any immediate damage, though over time, I suppose they could.. its not uncommon to see amps screwed to the top of boxes..
honestly though, it does look sorta ghetto.
I just don't do that personally.
cross-braced reinforced 3/4" MDF shouldn't resonate too much though if the box is built well.
one reason that material is popular for boxes is due to its density.

Post Number: 7
well the main reason id like to mount it on the box is because im trying to save space. The box is already huge even for my beast of a trunk (85 monte carlo) and i want it to be displayed and look clean. Glasswolf do you have any other recommendations on mounting the amp somewhere that is viewable but not taking up too much extra room thanks for the help both of you. Also my dad built cabinets for the for 15 years as a side job and i helped him for about 5. So we can build a nice box

Post Number: 8
i was also planning on putting gromets under the amp as well to soften the vibrations. and thanks for the great replies guys this message board is amazing

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2178
I'd cut a sheet of plywood the shape of the trunk floor and mount the amp to that, then cut another piece and cover it in automotive cloth and flush mount the amp(s) on the floor of the car, myself.
looks pro, and holds the box in place, too.
pushes right up against the box and holds it still

Post Number: 9
One last question. I was planning on just painting the box because mdf paints nice and its tough to do a decent carpet job. Whick way would you go?

Bronze Member
Username: Speakerbox

Post Number: 11
With your knowlege on building shelves you may as well build an entertainment center style floor in your trunk to keep the box from moving at all.

If you normally have things in your trunk you should go ahead and mount the amp on top of the box.

No point in having something bounce around in your trunk and hit your amp.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us